Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Modern color on a classic Mustang look out of place?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Default Modern color on a classic Mustang look out of place?

I have to pick a color next week.

I am between two colors;

wimbledon white / guardsman blue stripes

late model color; dark metalic blue (Lexus Indigo) with white stripes

Do you think a later model color would look out of place on a car that is otherwise very period correct?

I am interested in your opinon....thx
Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Here is a close up of Indigo blue, with a sliver stripe.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 AM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

I do think modern colors tend to look out of place on a classic. However, there are those rare cars that look great. That Indigo Blue looks great on the small sample. I am intrigued. I am considering colors for my fastback, and while I am leaning towards a glossy black (matching what it was when I first drove it) or classic Silver Frost - I am far from decided. If i stumble upon a modern color I love I will go with it. Good luck with the tough decision.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

No modern color looks out of place on a classic. They usually make the car look a lot better. Considering not many people remember what the original colors were and each and every day less and less people do. Although I am young and the old fellas might not agree.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

My 65 is Ford Redfire Metallic (96-10 color). I think it looks MUCH better than ANY red Ford made for the vintage Mustangs.

Unless you're doing concours restoration, or just want it to be totally period correct (no clear coats), then use the color you like. As nba1341 said, few people will know it's not an original color anyway (and less will care). There are a lot more choices now than there were back then.

Last edited by ozarks06; 01-31-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Heres a Toyota Blue 8M6 on our 65, the white is a off white from Chrysler. I will say some colors just don't cut it on a old car. Some of the newer ones look great. Its a big decision and is good sense to see if you can find one with that color before painting.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Heres a link to some blues used on Cobras.
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189960
Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

67 EE, I like the color of your car and actually had your picture in my gallary of pictures to help me choose.

It is funny you reference the FFCobra forum. I sold my F5 replica that I had owned for ten years before this project.

The indigo ink blue is one of the most common blues that people chose for a cobra replica. I just don't know if it will look good on a fastback.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

If you have a car that looks like a trailer concours job complete with goodyear polyglass tires and factory steel wheels with correct mustang factory wheel covers, a new paint color won't look bad, but it will look funny to some people--mostly people here. LOL.

Modern color paint is fine just like modern racing wheels are fine. Just make sure it's a good job. If you choose a custom metalflake color, I strongly advise being conservative with the % of metal added. Too much will really junk up your paint job. The right amount will make you car shimmer and people will say, "wow". Too much and it's so distracting it will look like tin foil painted over. Trust going small and the paint color will jump out instead of the metal.

CP
Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

if done right they look amazing with the newer colors, the indigo blue will look awsome on a fastback. i am gonna be painting my coupe BMW diamond black with very mild ghost flames

Quick Reply: Modern color on a classic Mustang look out of place?