Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

16 and learning, doing research for my 68

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Lil 68 coupe

Default 16 and learning, doing research for my 68

I recently managed to buy a 68 coupe with help from step dad and friend (thaks a lot) and i want to learn how to do the work, and do it my self (after i pay it off)

whats it like to strip these down and completely repaint the body?

The coupe came with Couger front disc brake set up for a conversion i would also like to do, what modifications are required for this?

I am only 16 so if i say something stupid please correct me

when you post a new thread, what does it mean to post a poll???
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

wrong section
try the classic section
Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 AM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

First off, congrats on the new car! Well it depends on how much work the car needs. Post some detailed pics of the car, especially concerning rust areas and body work areas, and we can further help you. Also is this going to be a show car? Daily driver? What are your plans for the car. All of these things factor into your question.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Google will be your friend as well as various mustang forums. Do some searches for what you want to learn about.

I started out at 15 not even knowing how to change my oil and now I can do so much more. I only wish I knew how to do this back at 16 I would have saved A TON of labor money.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Get you a couple of mustang repair manuals those can teach you a lot.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

This website may be useful. http://www.fordsix.com/
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Congrats, I too started just like you and now I have had a lifetime of enjoyment from old cars. Stripping a car down and doing a full restoration is a huge task. Most people that do that end up selling them as a "project".

I would figure out what you want the end state to look like; stock, restomod (updated features), clone of a something, etc. Have a picture as your screen saver of the car you want it to end up looking like. Make a list of everything that needs to be done, starting with making it safe; brakes, lights, steering etc. Then do the things necessary to make it run well and reliable; upgrade the brakes, make sure the suspension is up to snuff, fix the leaks, etc. Next start doing the body and paint. You will most likely need to find a shop to paint it, but you can do a lot of the prep work. Finally, do the interior and you have a nice car.

But overall, have fun. It will be very frustrating at times, but take your time, overcome one little hurdle at a time (took me two months to figure out why my turrnsignal wouldn't work right), but you will learn a ton and also have a car you can call your own when you are done.

Post pics and ask for hep, you will get it.

Ken
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

to do a full frame off restoration requires alot of time and care if you have a basic knowledge of the car you should be ok but if you have never painted b4 its better to have the car painted by a shop
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Actually with a Mustang, its not possible to to a frame off restoration, since its a unibody car. I think what you mean is rotisserie restoration.

By the way you don't have to do that kind of restoration if the underside is in good shape. You can just clean it up and paint the undercarriage.

I agree though, its generally better to have the paint job done by a shop, if you have never done that type of work before.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-13-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Lil 68 coupe

thank you for all the info!
to answer some of your questions:
I want do do ALL the work myself, yes.
but im worried if i make it to expensive/ nice you wont be able to really ever enjoy it. I heard that from a friend and agree also.

Its a texas car up untill 2 years ago so its in good shape.

The coupe cam with a front disc set up form a 68-69 couger so i figured When i start that process i would repaint the underside with rock guard? or some other protective application.

Hey GT350 Klone i took on a project last summer 83 ranger. I realized how fustrating things can really get. I keep little bracket off of a stuborn dip stick on my key chain s as a reminder: not everything will fit right. I learned a lot though and cant wait to get into this coupe! I love it, and one way or another I will find a way to keep this car!

has a 69 351W

I am aiming this car to be a nice street car, only a little bit of exterior goodies. Nothing supper rare or show quality. (at least for now)

thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: 16 and learning, doing research for my 68