Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Need advice on Intake, Carb, and Fuel Delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Raman4434

Default Need advice on Intake, Carb, and Fuel Delivery!

I recently purchased a 1969 Mustang Coupe 302 V8 with a double-barrel carb and I am wanting to convert it to a 4-barrel. So I ordered the intake and installed it and when I tried to install the carburetor the intake was to low so the carburetor was touching the valve covers on either side, which wouldn't allow for movement of the rod. This was okay seeing that I was also sent a spacer with the intake and I gasket for the 4 barrell spacer, however the spacer only had two holes??? I was working with a mechanic and neither of us could figure out a way to install the spacer since it only had two holes? while the Carburetor, the intake, and the gaskets all had four holes. The fact that they all shipped together had me a bit freaked out, wondering if it's even possible to convert the old 302 V8 to a 4 Barrell and if it is safe? If it is then Summitt racing is saying they sent me the wrong intake...I just want to be really sure. Also I am thinking about replacing my fuel pump and my fuel filter at the same time...everything I have found online with intructions on doing so has reinforced the idea of unplugging the fuse for the fuel injection system and I have yet to find anything on a car as old as this one...is there more or less to it and do I have anything to worry about in the process? I read that if you don't relieve the pressure with fuel injection it will basically explode out when you break the seal? Any help with these things would be appreciated thanks and I'm glad to be a part of the Mustang community!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Slow down...you've been doing too much reading. Ignore what you read about fuel injection..you don't have it. In order to mount your 4v carb, you need a 4v spacer. If you're working with a mechanic that can't figure that out, you may need a new mechanic. No need to change the fuel pump but a new filter is a good idea.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

From what I gather, you replaced the 2 barrel intake manifold with a 4 barrel, right? Then you went to install the 4 barrel carb on the new manifold, and the spacer does not work... Sounds like they just sent you the wrong spacer.
Again, you have a carbureted motor, not fuel injected- you have one or the other, not both. Fuel injected motors use an electric fuel pump. Carbureted uses a mechanical fuel pump (normally...). This is mounted on the motor. Pretty easy to replace, and if it is leaking fuel into the crankcase (happens when they get old) it is time to replace. Other than that, no need. it should supply enough fuel for a 4 barrel, unless you have some huge 1800 CFM beast on there (which I highly doubt).
Post some pictures of what you are talking about... Easier to explain things that way.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Raman4434

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the help I think I figured it out! They sent me the wrong intake for an EGR, but since I'm not using that the intake set to low and the carb was hitting the valve covers. The new intake they sent sits high enought the carb clears and the air filter sets perfect, with just enough hood space! I appreciate the help! What do you know about door and window shakes? Feels like my doors, windows, and mirrors are about to fall off :-)
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Raman4434
Thanks for all the help I think I figured it out! They sent me the wrong intake for an EGR, but since I'm not using that the intake set to low and the carb was hitting the valve covers. The new intake they sent sits high enought the carb clears and the air filter sets perfect, with just enough hood space! I appreciate the help! What do you know about door and window shakes? Feels like my doors, windows, and mirrors are about to fall off :-)
Glad you got that fingered out... As for the shakes, I'd replace all the weather stripping, the rollers on the window regulators, make sure the windows are secure in the regulators, and ensure all bolts are present and tight.