Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Try this again....How much for a paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
While prep can be a huge factor the materials can also add up. When I priced HOK Metajuls line for my 66 it came to almost $6500. I opted for PPG DBC doing a 3-stage paint and my bill was $1691 and I still need to buy clear (DCU2002) which they didn't have in stock. That doesn't include the 2085cr primer which was around $300 for the gallon if memory servers me correctly. In all just to buy the paint I'm going to be over $2k, labor will be mine.
That is a HUGE point also. I use DuPont products mostly because I went to high school with a guy who owns a DuPont store.

Some of you know that DuPont carries the less expensive Nason brand alongside their own brand, and even within the DuPont line there are higher quality alternatives to the standard.

The price difference in doing a car with Nason Products and DuPont Premiere is huge, perhaps 300 to 500 percent, and there is a difference in quality that shows in coverage, shrinkage, durability, and initial results.

If FISH posts up some pics I will still try to help out, I just roll that way.

Last edited by JMD; 08-30-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

A paint shop can only give you an general estimate until they get into the car and find what it's going to take to fix/paint.. They can tell you 5k and it end up being 10-15k depending on how much work its going to take.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 AM
phish
2nd Gear Member

so because he is a respected member he can respond like an ***.... call me names..... ridicule me....some of you need to grow a spine. most of you know his answer from this thread and the other was crap.. C R A P.....but u dont want to step on the "all mighty's" toes therefore stick up for him........how bout just give a better answer. I am sure there are some of you who know a better estimate given the info I posted but now refuse to answer because the "man " has spoken..........whatever...i already got tons of responses from another forum...........I do not know anything about cars, engines, painting them, or anything else associated with making them better . all i was asking for was an estimate that was within 20% range give or take. u didnt have to be an azz. u are no help to us newbies ...JMD....since we are allowed to call names and ridicule i guess i am allowed one... you are a complete know it all #%$*. u are not helpful and think just because you are knowledgeable on the subject gives you the license to act like a pompous jerk.......and if i get banned for calling names, dont forget that he has now called me a name a few times..........he wins, he has more posts than me

Last edited by phish; 08-31-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 AM
phish
2nd Gear Member

thx for some of the responses. thank you for those that tried to help. my question has been answered on another forum..............
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
thx for some of the responses. thank you for those that tried to help. my question has been answered on another forum..............
Where can I find a forum full of people who can see into the future? I have a few questions to ask them.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Post I hate this question..... longish post

(Its 6am, I'm relaxing with a morning coffee and I'm gonna ramble a bit)

I've always hated this question as its impossible to give a rough quote for a paint job and body work for someone online.. especially without even a single picture of the car. Plain and simply impossible! Why? Because there are literally 100s of factors which come into play from type of materials, job quality, labor charges, time involved, extent of repairs, finish desired, etc etc etc. The cost of just the Primer, Paint & Clear for a mustang can range anywhere from 500.00 to 5,000.00 for regular quality and upwards of 20,000 to 40,000 a gal for custom.. yes that's just for those 3 materials! How many coats? For many people 1 coat base and 2 clear are good enough. Others prefer 2 base and 5 or 6 coats of clear.. or more. This could double or triple your materials costs.

Btw.. what type of paint will they be using? Do you want acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel, acrylic urethane or water-based?

I know you said DuPont however like any company they have their low, mid and high quality products.

A few dings and silver dollar rust spots when sanded down could be huge areas filled 20 years ago with bondo.. You do NOT know until its been sanded down and trust me the magnet trick is not reliable. Ever hear of thin metal? I've seen tiny pinhole rust holes explode into 6" gaping holes the second a torch hits it to repair the tiny pinhole or silver dollar sized areas... again you simply don't know until its sanded and cut into.

"New seals, weather stripping, and other small inexpensive pieces" are you kidding me here? This alone between part costs, shipping, installation labor, etc could cost anywhere from 200.00 through 2,000.00 in total. Will he be replacing every seal, weather stripping, gasket on the body such as for the doors, trunk, windows, hood, tail lights, backup lights, locks, license plate, etc or just 2 or 3 items which are badly needed at this time? What exactly is an inexpensive piece? I'll bet your idea of inexpensive and mine differ quite a bit. I'm not insulting you here.. just being honest.

Fender flares.. you can order these for about 1000.00 plus freight shipping. Custom fabrication costs will depend on the shops skill, materials used, installation prep and time, etc. Your at the mercy of the shop and their labor costs here and we have no way of guessing this.

The hood scoop will likely cost you 2 to 3 hours of labor plus item costs. Again its depends or certain things. Will they spend the time to fit, drill, rivet it on to the hood or will they rough fit, double face tape it on and body fill to shape? You'll find it done both ways at "Bad", "Good" and "Professional" shops anywhere you go.

A "barter deal"?? Really?!?! What are we talking here? Are you a contractor building the shop owner a house? Are you giving the shop owner sexual favors (perhaps his employees as well)? Are you offering to cleanup around the shop on the weekend or plowing their lot of snow during the winter? Depending on which and how good you are at it maybe the cost of the work to your car will be free and he'll owe you money. Again.. Really?!?

Lets talk labor.. This will vary greatly and is a huge part of the expense of painting. Will this be priced as a 'per hour' job or 'here is your cost for the entire job'? If the shop charges per hour and not the 'job' run away! As for total labor will they spend 1 day block sanding for an ok finish or 2 weeks making sure every single square inch of the body is perfect before paint? Yes I'm being serious here.

Will they be doing a final Cut 'n Buff, a light polish or just the paint. This could add upwards to 2,500.00 depending on the quality, skill and time involved.

Will they be dismantling the car and reassembling it afterwards or will you?

You didn't say but its often forgotten.. will you have any stripes on the car? If so are they decals or do you want them painted on under the clear coat? This could add 250.00 to 1,200.00 to the end cost. Some shops refuse to paint them and say to just use the decals. If you hear this leave and don't look back.

If the car is in great shape with very little body work needed and your looking for a decent but as cost friendly job as you can find, and you have a great shop with fair and understanding owners/staff you'd be looking at 5,000.00 for what you've stated. Those flares boost the costs. If your looking for a great paint job that will last, really pop at the show then upwards of 8,000.00. This still might not be a high-end, show stopping paint job that your scared to drive and park in a lot however it should be good enough to be noticed at the local shows for a trophy or two.

I'm not being an ***. I'm not insulting you. OK so I might have tossed in a 'funny' statement but I'm just telling you how it is!

As a note.. don't dismiss what JMD says, the guy does know his stuff! Even after the banter between the 2 of you he stated that he'd still help you. Maybe you didn't like his quote from My Cousin Vinny. He didn't mean anything against you personally. Like my comment above talking about your barter deal. Its just a bit of humor.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

This is about all I am going to add to this, Phish, look at the tone of your last two posts to your "old" thread and the first post to your "new" thread.... who is the pompous ***? (well maybe me too, but no way I am taking all the credit)

In an attempt to post something helpful I tried to get you to post more info from you on EVERY post I made, you didn't post Jack ****.

Still all in all I don't give a damn what you say, I doubt you will get banned for your childish comments, and I don't want to see that.

Enough drama. No harm no foul from my side, I don't hate you...

And to those who are providing support, thanks, it is good to have friends.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
so because he is a respected member he can respond like an ***.... call me names..... ridicule me....some of you need to grow a spine. most of you know his answer from this thread and the other was crap.. C R A P.....but u dont want to step on the "all mighty's" toes therefore stick up for him........how bout just give a better answer. I am sure there are some of you who know a better estimate given the info I posted but now refuse to answer because the "man " has spoken..........whatever...i already got tons of responses from another forum...........I do not know anything about cars, engines, painting them, or anything else associated with making them better . all i was asking for was an estimate that was within 20% range give or take. u didnt have to be an azz. u are no help to us newbies ...JMD....since we are allowed to call names and ridicule i guess i am allowed one... you are a complete know it all #%$*. u are not helpful and think just because you are knowledgeable on the subject gives you the license to act like a pompous jerk.......and if i get banned for calling names, dont forget that he has now called me a name a few times..........he wins, he has more posts than me
You're a ****ing child. He's no "almighty" but he has certainly been here longer and contributed more advice than you ever could.

You're the ****ing smacktard asking an open ended, vague question so you deserve a vague response.

Go lurk on whatever **** forum you're from. We don't have the bandwidth for your bull**** here.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

lol Waffles! The don't hold back food!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Wow waffles... Tell us what you really think bro.. It costs me anywhere from $200 for a single stage enamel and very little body work, to over $2500 in supplies and LOTS of body work to paint a car. I dont pay labor because I do the labor. If you or someone else were paying me to rebuild some of these things, like the 71 in my Sig, you would end up owing me roughly $30k for the complete job. It varies on how much labor is involved and how much the materials cost.

So asking how much something is going to run without looking at it up close is like asking how cold it is going to be on December 12th in Munising Michigan this year.. Who knows until we get there.

Its not like building an engine or transmission, there are only so many things to replace or go wrong there. Body work is one of those things that can take a stupid amount of labor, or very little at all. Dont get upset just because they tell you something you dont want to hear. Its very difficult to estimate what a job will cost without seeing the car first hand.

Last edited by THUMPIN455; 08-31-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Try this again....How much for a paint job??