Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Try this again....How much for a paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default Try this again....How much for a paint job??

Since my last thread was hijacked and i only got one response, I would like to get a few more opinions......

I am getting my car repainted....The car is now black and is in relatively good condition. it has no dents, has maybe a few dings. the car does look like it was painted at least once before, but each time black. I just want it to be really really nice. Body shop guy gave my car body 7 of 10..... it has a few rust spots no bigger than silver dollar. he said while painting i should get new seals, weather stripping, and other small inexpensive pieces. i want to add the shelby style hood scoop molded to my metal hood. the expensive part i want added is fender flares. I want to add sm 1" to 1 1/2" fender flares to both front and back.. Exactly like the ones George Manont "Black Fang" mustang did. If you don't know what I am talking about search his name on this site...They were fabricated out of sheet metal, so I am sure it is a good bit of work. I have heard Dupont paint was good, so i guess that brand works.....I hope that is enough info so I can get a rough estimate of what i should expect to pay for a complete paint job...I am doing this through a barter deal, so i wanted to make sure they were quoting me a fair price.....if you need any more info just ask....my car is a 65 couope
Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Well, if you want some good opinions how about some pictures?

Those "silver dollar" size rust spots will make a big difference in the cost, meaning the severity of the damage. In other words my definition of a "really good paint job" won't be accomplished without PROPERLY fixing the rust. There are other factors that play in. (I guess the rust wont matter much in the price if the shop just loads the holes up with bondo, duh)

You got answers that are about as are general as your description of the car on this thread and the previous thread. When about all we have to work with is "the body shop guy says the body is a 7 out of 10", it ain't much, and you are going to get the general answers you already have.

So, somewhere between about $3,000 and $15,000, you didn't even need to read between the lines to get that much.

Di you see My Cousin Vinny when Miss Vito took the stand? What I am saying now and was saying before, your question is a bullsh!t question.

Last edited by JMD; 08-29-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Readability
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Well, if you want some good opinions how about some pictures?

Those "silver dollar" size rust spots will make a big difference in the cost, meaning the severity of the damage. In other words my definition of a "really good paint job" won't be accomplished without PROPERLY fixing the rust. There are other factors that play in. (I guess the rust wont matter much in the price if the shop just loads the holes up with bondo, duh)

You got answers that are about as are general as your description of the car on this thread and the previous thread. When about all we have to work with is "the body shop guy says the body is a 7 out of 10", it ain't much, and you are going to get the general answers you already have.

So, somewhere between about $3,000 and $15,000, you didn't even need to read between the lines to get that much.

Di you see My Cousin Vinny when Miss Vito took the stand? What I am saying now and was saying before, your question is a bullsh!t question.
once again u have chimed in with crap. how bout leave this thread alone go find another to kill.................im sure someone can give a little better ballpark figure than what u have.....u are only saying that to try and prove your point from the other thread......i dont have to post hundreds of pics to get a ROUGH estimate more narrow than 3k-15k...that is plain stupid, but maybe thats just you........anyways plz dont respond, i am actually trying to find an answer while u do nothing but try and not give one...plz no need for u to respond
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Take it to a few body shops and get a estimate,While you are there look around at cars they have to work on come back in maybe a week see how many cars are gone.It will tell you how fast they are and give you clue how long they will have your car.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

just ban this guy already hes a tool and apparently knows how to type on a computer but not read
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Some people don't learn stuff like this there is no price carved in stone.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
once again u have chimed in with crap. how bout leave this thread alone go find another to kill.................im sure someone can give a little better ballpark figure than what u have.....u are only saying that to try and prove your point from the other thread......i dont have to post hundreds of pics to get a ROUGH estimate more narrow than 3k-15k...that is plain stupid, but maybe thats just you........anyways plz dont respond, i am actually trying to find an answer while u do nothing but try and not give one...plz no need for u to respond
WTF are you talking about? He is being very direct in his price estimate, you can get a $3K Macco paint job and have it look like crap or you can have a pro do it with hundreds of hours into it and spend $15K+ and it will win a show every time.
It is all about the prep and time put into it and what needs to be done, So YES the price can vary that much even on a ROUGH estimate.

No one here can give you a clear cut estimate on how much a paint job can/will cost.

Lynn
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

And still no pics.... LOL.

Some people you just can't reach.

Usually, (not always), by the time there are silver dollar rust spots on the outside of a car, there are lots of inner parts that are TOAST, and yea, a **** poor shop can put a "really good" paint job on a car like this for some kind of fee that will vary. So I asked for PICTURES.

The reason you didn't get your post answered to your satisfaction is because you didn't provide enough information and you did not use good paragraph structure.

If you want good answers make good posts, I didn't want pictures of your car to hang on my wall bunghole.

Last edited by JMD; 08-30-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phish
JMD is a well respected member here and he is trying to help you. Disrespect him and you'll receive a whole lot of flak from a whole lot of people, myself included. He knows more about these cars than the majority of the people here, and you want to chastise him for giving you a generic answer to a generic question?

You provide little to no information and no photos and expect someone to quote you a paint job cost buildout?

We aren't ****ing magicians. We can't see your car without photos, and you're going to get what you pay for.

A Paint job here in Detroit could be ten times more than for someone in California or texas where there's cheap paint jobs from Mexican labor. It happens all the time.

Get lost, kid. You want an exact price, call a painter, and take your car to them.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
WTF are you talking about? He is being very direct in his price estimate, you can get a $3K Macco paint job and have it look like crap or you can have a pro do it with hundreds of hours into it and spend $15K+ and it will win a show every time.
It is all about the prep and time put into it and what needs to be done, So YES the price can vary that much even on a ROUGH estimate.

No one here can give you a clear cut estimate on how much a paint job can/will cost.

Lynn
While prep can be a huge factor the materials can also add up. When I priced HOK Metajuls line for my 66 it came to almost $6500. I opted for PPG DBC doing a 3-stage paint and my bill was $1691 and I still need to buy clear (DCU2002) which they didn't have in stock. That doesn't include the 2085cr primer which was around $300 for the gallon if memory servers me correctly. In all just to buy the paint I'm going to be over $2k, labor will be mine.

He can goto Maaco and get the $229.95 special.

Quick Reply: Try this again....How much for a paint job??