Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Prodject---My dads Pony

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So putting right along. I got the heater hoses done except hooking them up to the heater core and sealing them to the body. Waiting for the defroster duct assembly to show up--will need the extra room to install it and the heater hoses will be in the way once they are hooked to the heater core.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Next I dug into the dash pad and getting it cleaned up to install.

One of the 4 studs that holds the pad to the metal portion of the dash. For the record they are 10 24.

I cleaned it with a toothbrush and some special cleaner we use at work. I was pretty happy with how nice it looks regarding how old it is.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

I went ahead and tore down the cluster and inspected what I could. Ya you can certainly tell its old but you can now see the guages with the lense clean,lol

So I installed the dash pad and this time with all 4 studs and all 8 screws and it fits MUCH better now than it did before. I also installed the wiper switch and new headlamp switch along with the ignition switch and cig lighter. All the bezel pieces were worked over with mothers polish--they really look nice.

I also gave this some polish love and I was impressed with how well it turned out--looks gooood.

So I threw the cluster back in along with the steering tube/steering wheel. I am getting closer and it looks sharp now. Dad is going to love this..

Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

You going to be doing anything to those pedals?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkshadow03gt
You going to be doing anything to those pedals?
Yup. Waiting for new pads...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I feel like if I just sat down watching you work in your shop, my own productivity would increase 5 times.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Really coming along, looks good!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
I feel like if I just sat down watching you work in your shop, my own productivity would increase 5 times.

Originally Posted by White05GT
Really coming along, looks good!

Thanks guys
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So earlier in the thread I had mentioned I had no idea the switch in the glove box was for the 4 way flashers(was just resting in it). Well after that bit of reasearch I "thought" the switch was mounted to the metal portion of the glove box lip. Well I was digging thru a few boxes of misc stuff my dad had gotten when he bought the car and I found this.

From my understanding and reading 66' was the one year where the switch is hardwired to the harness and replacements were a blade style switch. Well I found this bezel with a blade style switch on it so there is a spare. The other thing I finally figured out is the fact the switch bezel actually mounts to the carboard glovebox insert--odd. In any case when I get the replacement insert I can install it correctly now.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 AM
crashfab
2nd Gear Member

So the last couple nights have been slow going--mainly because I am taking my time to make sure its as good as I can make it--plus this small stuff just takes time.

So This was harder than I thought--trying to replace the E-brake handle. The handle it held on by a pin. Well after some work I found if I pushed the pin all the way in--and then drilled a small portion of the end off I could remove the handle. Once it was off there was a shole in the ebrake rod that let me force the pin back out. In any case thats DONE!

This also took some time mainly to make sure and not scratch the newly painted dash. I also dissassembled the whole thing and polished it up. There was a spare on in the box of stuff so I swapped parts as need be and made a VERY nice assembly out of it. I also hooked both heat and temp cables up. Once we get the new defrost parts I can hook that up. But it turned out pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Prodject---My dads Pony