Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Help requested on 1967, 289 Stock to Mild Performance Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Holy crapm man. You've been from one extreeme to the other. Just take your time. Don't rush things as that always means more work in the end. You know what they say measure twice cut once, that is the same when it comes to cars to!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
smitten

Hi JH,

I was hoping you could save that chip but it sounds like it's a goner. Do a search on opentracker racing or front suspension in this forum and you'll see what others are saying. Here's a link http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/ Definitely do the shelby drop and the 'better' alignment numbers and I would say roller spring perches too. The other stuff can wait depending on your priorities but I figured since I'm making the outside nice, I should make the sterring and suspension work well too. I still have more suspension plans but cash isn't limitless..
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM
smitten

Jack,

In this thread there's a good set of opinions and information to get you started. There is pleanty more https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-opinions.html Some of the info comes from those that have been on this thread already. Research, research, research! Then, spend, spend, spend! It DOES never end.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Holy crapm man. You've been from one extreeme to the other. Just take your time. Don't rush things as that always means more work in the end. You know what they say measure twice cut once, that is the same when it comes to cars to!
I'll second this comment.

That sucks that you lost your pictures. Next time load them on your computer that way you have them saved on more than one place.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
JH_67
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitten
Hi JH,

I was hoping you could save that chip but it sounds like it's a goner. Do a search on opentracker racing or front suspension in this forum and you'll see what others are saying. Here's a link http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/ Definitely do the shelby drop and the 'better' alignment numbers and I would say roller spring perches too. The other stuff can wait depending on your priorities but I figured since I'm making the outside nice, I should make the sterring and suspension work well too. I still have more suspension plans but cash isn't limitless..
Well, that explains why the car is loose most of the time and over-steers at others! opentrackerracingproducts.com looks great but more that I was 'originally' thinking of doing. I'll start to re-think about prioritizing where my $$$ goes...

Thanks for the link, Steve!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I am interested in the roller spring perches and roller idler arm. I don't know if or when I will ever do that though.

You don't really need any fancy parts for your Mustang to drive and handle good. Mine is rebuilt with all new stock front suspension and steering. I have a rebuilt steering box which makes a tremendous difference. Its a quick ratio steering box even though I have manual steering. The only things non stock about the suspension are 1 inch lowering springs, KYB shocks, and a larger front sway bar. It does great like this.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-28-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

instead of roller spring perches there is a coilover set you can purchase from QA1 that will mount in the stock positions completely eliminating the spring perch all together.
It will look like this and bolt into stock locations.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

JH,

Back to engine talk. Where are you with the motor and the engine bay?

Ken
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
annuel10

Smile I'm in the same boat

let me know me know because I'b about to jump in the same boat.
289 2BL carb, 2 in. twin muffs, oem rad, all may be upgraded. Thank You.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

JH, Any update on your motor install?

Quick Reply: Help requested on 1967, 289 Stock to Mild Performance Build