Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Mustangs in Oahu, Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustangs in Oahu, Hawaii?

My first car was a 1976 Mustang Cobra II. Blue with white stripes, 302 with some minor upgrades. A totally awesome car to have and I was in Hawaii. This was in 1992 when I joined the Army. I sold it a few years later….I wonder if that car is still in Hawaii…..

18 years later, I am on orders to return back to Hawaii. I will be living in Honolulu this time and stationed on a little base there in the area. Since owning my new Mustang (I’ve had for 4+ years), I grown accustomed to going to car shows, talking with other vintage car owners, swapping info, trading parts, getting trophies, putting new parts on, etc….I love it.

My question is, anyone here live in Hawaii? Any active car clubs, vintage car stuff? Maybe not just isolated to Mustangs like we can do here in the states, but anything going on out there?

I will be driving from North Carolina with my car to California, where it will be put on a boat and shipped to Hawaii.

James
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I know there's a few guys on the forums that are in Hawaii. I dunno which of the islands though.

I'm sure they have car shows too.

Oh and glad to hear you're taking your car with you! I'd hate to see you sell it!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:16 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Hey man. Im stationed on Oahu and there sure is a mustang club. A couple of car clubs actually. Check out..

www.hawaiiperformancemustags.com www.paradisecruisers.com

Ill be around for sure. I know a couple of other guys with classics too. We do the "come over and help me put in my suspension" type nights with beer as payment. and the mustang club meets once a month and does shows now and then. Its pretty cool. Just send me a PM whenever, and if you need some info on anything out here just let me know.

-Justin
Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Oh, and do yourself a favor, before coming out here get new tires and bring them with you in your PCS move, unless your tires are pretty new as is. They are really expensive on Island and you dont get the choices that you would on the mainland without special ordering. Plus you need good tires for the safety inspection before registration.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
Oh, and do yourself a favor, before coming out here get new tires and bring them with you in your PCS move, unless your tires are pretty new as is. They are really expensive on Island and you dont get the choices that you would on the mainland without special ordering. Plus you need good tires for the safety inspection before registration.
New tires! I can and will do that. Thank you.

Safety inspection? *cringe* I don't need one in North Carolina because it's older than 35 years. Will they check the exhaust and look under the hood? I have performer RPM heads, a Holley Street Avenger Carb and barley enough exhaust pipe to make sure the smoke gets out the back end which does nothing to actually "muffle" the sound.

Thank you for the link, I thought this thread was dead. I will be at FT. Shafter in April, I look forward to meeting some new people.

James
Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
PEACEMAKER

Not to change the topic but my first car was a 78 king cobra. I wish I would have held on to that one!!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:06 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

You can look up the safety inspection rules on the DMV website for the state. Mostly they look for oversized rims (other than stock) You should be fine.. Any suspension modifications.. Unless your car sits obviously low you can just tell the guy its all stock. All lights (you'll have to change your parking bulbs to amber), leaking oil or fluids, and squeeking belts. You'll probably have to get the car weighed for road tax purposes (i did) which costs like $60, so keep that in mind. Their books only go back so far.. They also check your emergency brake, tire tread, wipers, and any cracks in the window (which you have to take care of before shipping to hawaii) OH and dont let the military guys jip you if they scratch the car during the pcs.. They will offer you up to $1000 on the spot.. I got $3,200 for the scratches and curb rash on mine. Take plenty of pics the day you ship it out, and the day you get it on island as proof and keep receipts.

I have a good bud with a 68 Vert, and Im sure doing a little cruising will be in order for the three of us once you are here.

Are you running Straight Pipes.. No mufflers? They may not like that. Its got to be soooo loud!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well I'm probably right across the world from there, but I live on an island as well.
So just as booger says. whatever big parts you need soon ... do it now.
Windows, fuel tank, bonnet or whatever
Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
well I'm probably right across the world from there, but I live on an island as well.
So just as booger says. whatever big parts you need soon ... do it now.
Windows, fuel tank, bonnet or whatever
Man... When I saw that you replied, I thought, "hey Kalli is coming to Hawaii for a visit, guess ill have to pick him up at the airport."

And Musnicki: Just let me know if you have any other questions..
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hawaii is most certainly on my to do list :-) I'll make sure to let you know if I ever go. That would be fun

Quick Reply: Mustangs in Oahu, Hawaii?