Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

65 suspension upgrade ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

Default 65 suspension upgrade ??

i'm just sitting here in bed with a freashly broken angkle from playing with the 1 year old puppies...long story but it sucks, can't do anything for 2-3 weeks atleast.. so i'm here thinking on what i really want to do with my car....its a 65 vert, i thinking on modding the towers for my 351, and installing GW uppers/lowers and new springs in the rear! but i can't help thinking on for the price....takeing out the towers for this... and the rear leafs for this ?? and mybe these wheels..am i better off with the GW for a street driver or will this coilover really do it ?? thanks

here it all orig suspension....

and thinking on this....

and am wondering just how big of a tire will fit with this...

Last edited by jgstang65; 01-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I did the Rod & Custom suspension all round. When I got done pricing out GW with R&P and Brakes the R&C suspension was a better deal. I went with the RC107. Using their kit in the rear as well. Wilwood 4 piston calipers all round too. Spindles are 2" drop.

http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/

Last edited by mr_velocity; 01-07-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

I'm assuming you have a 351 Cleveland that you are looking to put in? The 351 Windsor in this car fit just fine without changes to the shock towers.

As for the suspension, what are your goals and budget for the car?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't mess with a mustang 2 kits every car i drove with one handled worse.Both 351 cleveland and windsor fit fine just a little tight you can get away with some notching up the shock towers down to the upper a arm bolt holes.But you gotta brace up everything you notch.Before you do anything read this http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Even though I'm already committed, can someone explain the difference between the RC 106 whcih they call a Mustang II kit and the RC107 which they call a "true coil over". Will there be a noticeable difference in handling (on the track)?

http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/rod__custom.pdf
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Its a mustang 2 kit basicly they changed the upper a arms to a gm style it holds a alignment better is why.The problem with a mustang 2 kit is they build one and make a cross member fit a ton of cars.One size only clothes won't fit every single person same thing goes for suspensions.If its a older car going from a straight axle to a mustang 2 its a upgrade.On a car with a ifs stock depending the car its a downgrade.The stock suspension vs a mustang 2 the mustang 2 has shorter a arms and shorter springs so you will have a rougher ride and less shock travel.And the spindles Are the same they make one and just change the hubs to whatever bolt pattern they like.In a lot of cars the spindles have the wrong ackerman angle which hurts the handling.Going from 40 year old worn out parts to a mustang 2 you will get better handling but rebuilding the stock stuff or running coilovers that go to the lower a arm is the sweet spot when it comes to better handling.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Its a mustang 2 kit basicly they changed the upper a arms to a gm style it holds a alignment better is why.The problem with a mustang 2 kit is they build one and make a cross member fit a ton of cars.One size only clothes won't fit every single person same thing goes for suspensions.If its a older car going from a straight axle to a mustang 2 its a upgrade.On a car with a ifs stock depending the car its a downgrade.The stock suspension vs a mustang 2 the mustang 2 has shorter a arms and shorter springs so you will have a rougher ride and less shock travel.And the spindles Are the same they make one and just change the hubs to whatever bolt pattern they like.In a lot of cars the spindles have the wrong ackerman angle which hurts the handling.Going from 40 year old worn out parts to a mustang 2 you will get better handling but rebuilding the stock stuff or running coilovers that go to the lower a arm is the sweet spot when it comes to better handling.
Thanks for the headache I decided to do some digging on these suspensions, wish I had a nickel for every different opinion. I want to learn about this stuff so I'm going to keep digging and talking to people. I'm already committed to the RC107 for this project but I like learning.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have read post of people love and some who hate the mustang 2 kits handling.The two cars i drove with one you felt every bump in the road harder then my 68 with tcp coilovers on it.The other car had air bags and it didn't ride that bad all really.Turning was ok but both cars where mod motors so the weight balance is different then my car.The good about a mustang 2 kit is the spindles its easy to get drop ones and aftermarket brakes and rack and pinion is huge for them.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Nice 65 convertible. I think it looks great and wouldn't change the style of it. Those billet wheels are hideous, by the way.

I think that rear end setup seems quite a bit overkill for a street car.

There is nothing wrong with the stock front suspension. I would keep the stock front suspension and just uprade some of it.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 01-10-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

My son put a R&P in his 66 with rebuilt stock components and imo it handles and drives great.

He also installed a 351 with the stock shock towers using Hedman swap headers, while it is a little close when compared to vintage cars, there is plenty of room compared to late model cars.

None the less, I think the aftermarket suspensions are pretty cool too, and a little more room under the hood is never a bad thing.