Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Rear glass leak, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Rear glass leak, HELP

I have a 71 coupe and the rear window leaks horribly.

I had a glass place install a new gasket and they put urethane on the inside of the gasket where it meets metal b/c there was a void in the pinch welds where the headliner meets the rear window in both top right and top left corners. It still leaks, if not worse than before. Any thoughts? The body is in good shape.

The glass guy suggested putting silicone around the seal and the body on the outside before reinstalling the chrome around the window. I'm afraid this will cause rust.

Please help. I am taking a road trip with it in about two weeks and would like it to be water tight.

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you do not use urethane on the gaskets...you you need to pull it apart and seal it with Bedding and Glazing compound...

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-a...9-p-10389.aspx

Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Default bedding compound

This goes between the gasket and the body correct?
And it should fill any voids?

Then the question is do I take it back to the same guy, or find some other glass person....
He was very kind and eager to help, just not familiar with old mustangs... or perhaps older cars in general.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well if they are a glass place they should have know not to use urethane on a gasket....have them pull the glass and reseal it correctly with the Bedding and Glazing compound...it goes in between the glass and seal and the seal and body...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah make then fix it and do it right if he won't you want his bosses name and number.If they try to bs you just say you are restoring the car and it has to be factory specs.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 AM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help.

No one where I'm at knows about the bedding and glazing compound. The auto body supply store only sells butyl rope and urethane in calking tubes. Is the glazing compound thicker? Why wouldn't the urethane have worked?

Well I only paid him $17 cash so I'm not out much and he was the owner... He was helpful just didn't know his stuff about old cars. I'll try him again, but if that fails I'll go elsewhere.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

You can buy it online but my local auto body place sells it i think i seen it at napa before just call around.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by caddyman
Thanks for the help.

No one where I'm at knows about the bedding and glazing compound. The auto body supply store only sells butyl rope and urethane in calking tubes. Is the glazing compound thicker? Why wouldn't the urethane have worked?

Well I only paid him $17 cash so I'm not out much and he was the owner... He was helpful just didn't know his stuff about old cars. I'll try him again, but if that fails I'll go elsewhere.

urethane is a hardening glue.....the B&G is a non hardening sealant same stuff the water shields behind your door panels are glued on with....as for where to find it the guy above said hes seen it at napa i have too...or you can order it from www.abtm.com
Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM
caddyman
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help. Took it to a different glass place that works on lots of old cars. They pulled the glass and gasket and used b&g on it. The headliner apparently is attached by the pinch weld which caused some of the problem. Also there are points where several pinch welds come together that create a big gap. When she gets a new paint job I'll have to get a body guy to "smooth" out some of the seams so that it seals better.

It still leaks, but much, much less and only into the trunk where the factory drip rails are. This is acceptable for the time being.

Plus, since this glass place noticed the headliner and weld problems, they couldn't guarantee the work, so they didn't charge me! I gave them two tube of B&G compound for their efforts.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the headliner is supposed to be like that....as for the pinch welds you mean they are rusted at the seams??

Quick Reply: Rear glass leak, HELP