Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Question for the experts; Looking for a 65-68 Mustang, BUT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
antonioNHB

Default Question for the experts; Looking for a 65-68 Mustang, BUT

Hello everyone!!

I am looking to purchase a 65-68 mustang as a daily driver. I am selling my new(er) Hummer to get in my childhood dream vehicle.

I just had a few questions for the experts;

The shell/look is really the only thing that's important to me. I want a fully functional, no-headache car that I dont have to constantly mess with. The engine can be different (something newer), the vin numbers dont have to match, the interior can be updated.

I'm not impartial to any mods, i just want to have all of the luxuries of a new car but cosmetically, i want it to be the 65-68 model mustang.

How much would this cost me? Are there sellers who do something like this? I am looking to purchase as soon as I sell my Hummer. I don't want a project, I want to purchase the vehicle and put the rubber to the road.

How much will something like this cost? Do people do updates like this? I have heard of restomodding. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome.. BTW chk out the classics section...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I'd start browzing fleabay, plenty of people put later model EFI motors in their car with a 5sp. or AOD for this very reason. There are a few shops that are putting the new coyote 5.0 into the classics, you might do a google search for 'classic mustang coyote'. There are many shops that do this but I'm sure it ain't cheap to have done as an order, cheaper to find someone who's done it and ready to sell.
Jon
Old 06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Where are you located?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

A car like that is out there for sale somewhere, you will just need to find one someone gave a **** about when they put it together. I don't know haw to translate this over the internet....
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM
antonioNHB

thank you guys for the quick responses!
I'm located in Louisville, KY but I would definitely be willing to travel anywhere on the east coast to get it.
I never knew how affordable they were! I always thought I would be looking at AT LEAST $30k for a decent restoration.
I will check fleabay now!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I fear your quest will end in disappointment. When you find the "perfect" car you are looking for, the odds are good that you will have problems and need to "work" on it. That is the nature of the beast. If you own an old car, even with new parts, you will have to spend more time fixing it than if you bought a new 2012 Boss 302. In fact, that is what I would recommend to you since I believe your search will be in vain.

If you are going to buy a fully modernized classic Mustang, you'll pay over 60k easy. If it is under that, you can rest assured that it will not meet your requirements. Why? Because skilled, experienced labor is expensive. People who car about their work take their time, thus more time is spent, leading to more money charged.

Last edited by MustangBradley; 06-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Well, if you're looking for something that's not a project, you're better off buying from well known sellers. Random sellers on Ebay can lie to you about reliability more than anything.

Flemmings Ultimate Garage is a very well known dealership that sells very well restored cars, whether they are restored in-house or bought from another restorer. They sell anything from old Mustangs and Camaros to new European sports cars.

http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/

They also post youtube videos for each of their cars to give you a better idea of what you're buying. The price that they sell the cars for can be pretty expensive, but remember that shipping is included in the price, and that these are truly "turn key cars". Very little work required, although remember that these cars are old, and things WILL break easier.

Last edited by 200ci66; 06-26-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
antonioNHB

thanks bradley, at first i was looking for someone to talk me out of it and i heard many responses like this...but i believe that i am already set. i was hoping to spend under $20k for what i was looking for and by searching ebay, craigslist, and forums, i have stumbled upon several that i would definitely put my money on.
@200ci66 thank you so much!! that website is AMAZING!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
. If you own an old car, even with new parts, you will have to spend more time fixing it than if you bought a new 2012 Boss 302. In fact, that is what I would recommend to you since I believe your search will be in vain.

\
Yeah, but that Boss would need some work as well. The 2011+ mustangs are having problems with their drivetrain and suspension.

Quick Reply: Question for the experts; Looking for a 65-68 Mustang, BUT