MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustang General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustang-general-discussion-123/)
-   -   Tracing the history of my car (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustang-general-discussion/648692-tracing-the-history-of-my-car.html)

spooky21 07-25-2011 10:34 PM

Tracing the history of my car

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I own a 64 1/2 170c.i. 'vert and would really like to find out about the previous life. I know it was a DSO 13 car (New York). I bought it in Florida and I know the previous owner. I also know the name of the owner before him but that is where the trail runs cold.

does anyone know how I would go about finding the previous owners?

Regards

lucasp 07-25-2011 11:01 PM

Welcome to the forum. I would try the DMV maybe they could help you out by running the VIN numbers. Just a thought.

andrewmp6 07-26-2011 06:51 AM

Most dmv won't give out anything because of privacy and anything old is on paper and not in the computers so its lost in time.

rtintwo 07-26-2011 08:47 AM

You will run into privacy act issues trying to get the government to give you any previous owner information. Your best bet would be to talk with the previous owners and tracing back through them.

I have never run a carfax before maybe somebody could answer this, does a carfax list dealerships where a car was sold in the past?

rtintwo 07-26-2011 08:49 AM

Also have you tried googling any of the info you do have like owners name or VIN. Never know it just might pop something up.

200ci66 07-26-2011 03:37 PM

Yes, once you learn the dso and everything from the previous owner, everything is lost. If the previous owner knew the one before him, that'd give you a lot more information.

Something a little odd about my car: The door tag on the door obviously isn't the original tag for the car, and the tag on the fender was made by someone to match the one on the door (doesn't even look original) so it's not uncommon to have a car with 2 VIN numbers stamped on it. After 45 years of wrecks, restorations, ect finding out the history of these cars is very hard to do. I think about mine everyday, Who originally bought it? What kind of memories did they make with the car? Where has my car been?

The only thing you can do is talk to the previous owners.

Or you could do what I did: Take apart the interior to find a speeding ticket and a pay stub from 20 years ago. I have one of the previous owners' name, location, workplace, and social security number... Note to self, if you're going to sell the car, make sure all your information is OUT OF IT! haha

spooky21 07-26-2011 07:31 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have spoken to the previous owner and he had the name and address of the owner before him but I have run into a dead-end.
I will try and google the previous owners and vin and see if I can get somewhere that way.

andrewmp6 07-27-2011 01:28 AM

The oldest cars a carfax will do is somewhere in the 1980s so that's not going to work.