Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Looking for parts guides

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
beardking

Default Looking for parts guides

Hey all, new guy here. Just bought my first classic Mustang this past weekend (10th wedding anniversary present from my wife, gotta love that woman). It's a 1968 coupe with a 302 and auto tranny, it runs and drives and looks pretty decent from about 20', any closer and you start seeing the flaws (kind if like me :-) ). Cool thing is, I've never been happier, I've always wanted a rolling project.

Now, this being a rolling PROJECT, I'd like some suggestions on where I could go to possibly find diagrams that show the various small parts and call them out by name so I can start making my list of what needs to be replaced. I can see the parts that are missing our aren't in decent enough shape, but I don't know their names so I'm having some difficulty looking them up (like the trim piece that goes on the door jamb above the striker plate but below the rear window).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can guarantee there spill be a metric ton of questions to come.

Thanks in advance,
Beardking
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The best thing to do is get online search around for assembly manuals for it i think there's 2 or 3 of them but it shows how everything goes together and you'll see what missing on it.Or just take some pictures and post them on here asking what's missing.So what's your plan for the drivetrain on it ?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
beardking

Well, I ordered a shop manual yesterday, so hopefully that will at least give me a start (once it arrives). I'm going to try going to 1/2 Price Books this weekend and see if I can find anything else that would be useful.

As for the drivetrain on it, right now I'm going to leave it alone. The engine was just recently rebuilt (or at least that's what the seller says), it runs well and has good power, so I'm not going to go messing with that just yet. I'd eventually like to swap out the auto for a 5 speed, but that's going to be a little ways down the line.

Other than getting the trim pieces that it is missing, my main goal for right now is to get new springs for it. It has the originals on it and I think those rear leafs are just about to give up on me. As you can probably tell in this picture, the rear is sagging a bit. Oh, and of course I'll be getting the body work taken care of as soon as I can afford to.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
chrisboss429

Congrats to you and your wife and welcome to the forums and life with a great looking stang! Catalogs are a great way to learn all the parts and best of all they are free! Best wishes on your new car!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Besides light body work the car looks pretty good.The best thing you can read about the suspension is http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101 Its long but worth reading it explains everything you could would to know.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
RagHead
1st Gear Member

You can also search the major Mustang online vendors as most have their online catalog and paper copies broken down by sections of the car the parts go to and on. Nice looking stang and welcome to the site.