Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Building 9 inch Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
make sure the tubes are fully welded to the center most rear ends only have 2 plug welds on each side..
I think you are thinking of the 8.8 rears..I have never seen an 8 or 9 inch that wasn't fully welded.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
I was finally swayed into using strange 31 spline axles vs the mosers..
any particular reason? i'm running mosers (no particular reason besides it's what i ordered).

i would be surprised if there is realizable difference in 31 spline axles between the big names like moser, strange, mw when it comes to your typical heavy duty street car.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

Thank you guys for the info excited to get the stock single trac 3.25 gears out of the car. Can't wait to get the car to the track too. Thanks for the quickperformance website too, best pricing I have seen.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon
any particular reason? i'm running mosers (no particular reason besides it's what i ordered).

i would be surprised if there is realizable difference in 31 spline axles between the big names like moser, strange, mw when it comes to your typical heavy duty street car.
Curious too
Old 02-06-2012, 12:56 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I haven't had a factory 9 inch i know most gm axles they just plug welded the tubes just figured ford did it too.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon

I don't have any concrete evidence either way..Here is the link back to when I asked the question...Some of the guys replying are heavy duty racers and have been around the sport along time so I respect their opinions..

http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/s...range-or-Moser
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
I don't have any concrete evidence either way..Here is the link back to when I asked the question...Some of the guys replying are heavy duty racers and have been around the sport along time so I respect their opinions..

http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/s...range-or-Moser
thanks for the link!

it was nice to read the source. looks like there was two people with first hand knowledge (one appearing to be in sales if you can trust that) claiming not enough meat at the hub area on the moser (on who knows what axle).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Good selection. Make sure you get quality bearings to back up that eaton. And find a reputable shop to set up your 3rd member, dont blow it up like I did on the first try. Lol
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

So the order is going to be placed soon, the shop who will be setting it up will be providing gaskets, shims, etc... Anything else that should be purchased?

Here is the list:
Summit Racing SUM-720025 - Summit Racing® Leaf Spring Perches
Moser Engineering A31-71MUST - Moser Engineering Replacement Alloy Axle Shafts
Moser Engineering 9MTR - Moser Engineering Axle Bearings
Lucas Oil 10047-1 - Lucas Pure Synthetic Gear Oil x3
Detroit Locker 913A586 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials

I have decided to keep the gearing the same... So I can still drive the car on the highway....
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

if you are going to replace the perch then consider an upgrade like the following as opposed to a stock type replacement.

Heavy Duty Perch

Quick Reply: Building 9 inch Rear End