Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Building 9 inch Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

Default Building 9 inch Rear End

So I am trying to get a list together of components to set up my rear end. The problem is with all the brands out there now I can't find solid sources of known good products, so I will be trusting the people on here.

First of all I will be going full locker. So my first question is what brand?

Eaton
Ford Racing
Currie
Summit Racing

My next question is if I need to beef up my axles. I believe that I have the stock axles and they are 28 spline. Do I need to get better ones or even go up to 31 spline? If so what brand?

The motor is a cleveland and will be putting out as close to 400 as I can get, it will be at the track and have a set of slicks. Your input is much appreciated!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Are you going to want big axle bearings or small? I ask because you will need to ponder what brakes/backing plate etc.. you will use before you pick that bearing size. Most early mustangs used the small bearing rear end with a necked down axle tube, and of course 28 splines.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

Small. The main thing with the axles is the possibility of breaking parts off of a hard launch, but from what I’ve heard the stock equipment is quite good at holding together. It’s not going to be out at the track every weekend but maybe once a month or so.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Well, I think that a small bearing is going to equal 28 spline axles, but that's what the older k code and Shelby cars used. At least you have a wider car so you may have more donor options than we do with the 65's, to get a 9 that looks correct we basicly have to take axle tubes from the 8" and put them in a 9" third member housing, fortunately the axles are the same.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
F15Falcon
1st Gear Member

Decent HP, a heavy car and sticky tires will demand heavy duty parts. You can go with 31 spline axles with a small bearing housing, but that is pi$$ing in the wind in my opinion. Axles almost always break at the bearing near the wheel, not the splines. Going with small bearing 31 spline axles will give you the same size axle at the bearing as a 28 spline small bearing axle or even an 8" axle. You need to step up to big bearing axles. The housing you have is the light duty Mustang housing that WILL deform the tubes on a hard launch, so a heavy duty housing will be required as well. Go with 35 spline axles, as they won't cost any more than 28 or 31 spline axles. As far as axles go, Dutchman Axles cannot be beat. I have never had any problem with Dutchman axles in 16 years of building rear ends, the same cannot be said for Moser, Currie and Strange.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

ok, sounds good. Thank you guys for the input. The only other thing that I want to know is what differential carrier to go with. I know I want a full locker but as far as reviews the most dependable seems to be the eaton. Any other opinions?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Mach1BBFun
1st Gear Member

So I'm bringing back this thread because I am about to purchase. Just looking for a little more input before I accually buy.

I want to keep my stock housing and brake assembly (cost) so I have decided to go with this:

Eaton Detroit Truetrac 31 spline

Moser 31 spline axles

Ford Racing 4:11 Gears

Any opinions are appriciated and if you can think of anything other than misc. parts such as gaskets and shims that I will need let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i've read the leaf spring perch can be a weak point. might be a good time to fix that up.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah beef up the spring perches on it and make sure the tubes are fully welded to the center most rear ends only have 2 plug welds on each side.But look at http://www.quickperformance.com/ some stuff they are cheaper on then other places.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

I just built my 9 inch rear this past summer...Many opinions but I was finally swayed into using strange 31 spline axles vs the mosers..

Quick Reply: Building 9 inch Rear End