Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

1968 8" Rear End in 1966 Mustang

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
ezstang
1st Gear Member

Default 1968 8" Rear End in 1966 Mustang

Hello All-

Ok this is my first post! I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe that I'm putting a 89 5.0 HO motor in (Carburated) and 85 Police AOD Transmission. I have did the 5 lug conversion with 1968 Spindles and a 68 Rear end. At the time I redid the rear end I did not realize it was 2" longer. It is already in the car with 4.5" backspacing tires. As you can imagine the tires stick out about an inch on each side. With that being said I also have the rear end lifted 3/8inch with different leaf spring shackles. This is a rolling chassis still so my questions are:

1. Will I be able to run the set up the way it is? If so anything to look for?

2. If I decide I don't like the inch tires sticking out can I just change rear rims to 5.5" backspacing with 4.5" in the front?

3. If this rear end is going to cost me nothing but problems what is the best rear end to run with under 300Hp?

Thanks for all in advance who respond. I am doing a V-8 restoration for first time but have been around the block with Inline 6 before
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ezstang
Hello All-

Ok this is my first post! I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe that I'm putting a 89 5.0 HO motor in (Carburated) and 85 Police AOD Transmission. I have did the 5 lug conversion with 1968 Spindles and a 68 Rear end. At the time I redid the rear end I did not realize it was 2" longer. It is already in the car with 4.5" backspacing tires. As you can imagine the tires stick out about an inch on each side. With that being said I also have the rear end lifted 3/8inch with different leaf spring shackles. This is a rolling chassis still so my questions are:

1. Will I be able to run the set up the way it is? If so anything to look for?

2. If I decide I don't like the inch tires sticking out can I just change rear rims to 5.5" backspacing with 4.5" in the front?

3. If this rear end is going to cost me nothing but problems what is the best rear end to run with under 300Hp?

Thanks for all in advance who respond. I am doing a V-8 restoration for first time but have been around the block with Inline 6 before
You can change the backspacing on the wheels to 5.5 and they will fit. This will result in a dish in the front and not in the back however which would look silly (IMO). There is a number of way you can fix this.

1. Run 5.5 wheels front and back by using a wheel adapter in the front
2. Run 5.5 wheels front and back by upgrading the front brakes to late model discs using a kit from street or track which will change your backspacing requirements for the front
3. Shorten the rear you have now
4. Obtain a different width rear
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
ezstang
1st Gear Member

What if I leave it like it is? Do you see any problems with it?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

What if I leave it like it is? Do you see any problems with it?
You mean aside from the visual fopa of mis-matched wheels? I suppose not.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
ezstang
1st Gear Member

dodgestang-

I don't have mismatched wheels I currently have a 68 8" rear in in the 66 (2 inches wider). I have aluminum centerlines all with 4.5" spacing 15x8 in rear 15x7 in front. I kinda like the look of the back tires sticking out looks tough but one I get this beast on the road am I gonna have any issues with that set up?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Let's see pics.
Lynn
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

dodgestang-

I don't have mismatched wheels I currently have a 68 8" rear in in the 66 (2 inches wider). I have aluminum centerlines all with 4.5" spacing 15x8 in rear 15x7 in front. I kinda like the look of the back tires sticking out looks tough but one I get this beast on the road am I gonna have any issues with that set up?
Yes, but they don't fit. You can't drive the car with the wheels sticking out past the fender like that. one good bump that bottoms out the supsension and you will slam your fender into the tire and either wrinkle for the fender or blow the tire and have an accident. So you need to get wheels in the back with the correct back spacing
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

The only hing to watch out for with the rear wheels sticking out an 1" or more past the wheels wells is going over bumps and hitting holes, etc. You'll crunch your quarter panels if your shocks aren't stiff enough and the ride height isn't high enough to keep from doing so.

I like the look myself, but it can be a pain in the butt.
Lynn
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
Yes, but they don't fit. You can't drive the car with the wheels sticking out past the fender like that. one good bump that bottoms out the supsension and you will slam your fender into the tire and either wrinkle for the fender or blow the tire and have an accident. So you need to get wheels in the back with the correct back spacing
Yes, you can drive it like that.
Just don't have anyone sit in the back seat either, been there before.

Many cars back in my day in the 80's had wheels and tires sticking out past the wells.

I have done it for years in my teen years and I would do it again in a heart beat.

People forget why they used to make air shocks for.

We used to call them quarter crunchers back in the day, You just got be careful.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 12-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
ezstang
1st Gear Member

Well I have the leaf spring shackles that lift rear up 3/8" and also have 5 leaf hd springs vs standard leaf springs and new shocks. When it is sitting it looks like it has the clearance. I wont have the motor or tran. in it till spring. Dodgestang I know you probably have way more experience in this then me but my neighbor has a 1977 Cougar with wide tires that stick out like that and has never been a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 8" Rear End in 1966 Mustang