Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Need Convertible Top Shop (SE MI/Ann Arbor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
ljrullman

Default Need Convertible Top Shop (SE MI/Ann Arbor)

In the fall I bought a '67 convertible from a guy 5 hours away that had done some work to it, including a new top purchased from and installed by a company in Ohio (where he lives). I cannot easily go there to have the company look at it. It does not operate with the motor (but I can hear it run when it is switched). This is not a big deal to me since I only drive it in the summer on nice days. However, I would like the capability to manually close and latch it. However, it is so tight that it is almost impossible to latch. My mechanic said I should take it to a convertible top shop since it is speciality work and an installer would know how to rectify this. Everything I've read online concurs - convertible top installation is not for the faint of heart it appears!

Does anyone know an upholstry or convertible top shop in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area? Michigan Mobile Glass & Trim says on their website they'll do it, but... Looking for advice. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The_Dude
1st Gear Member

They're supposed to be hard to latch, otherwise they won't be tight. A new top needs to stay latched in the up position for a couple of weeks to set and stretch, or else you have the problems you describe.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
The_Dude
1st Gear Member

If it won't go up without help, you're probably just low on fluid. That also means you have a leak though.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

iirc the top motor uses ATF