Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Bought a lift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

It might, repeat might, be dropped off this evening. Looking at the underside of my cars might be a double edged sword, still all the same I cannot wait to get at it.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Okay the lift is in front of my garage. The posts weigh A LOT. They are upright but sitting in the stones propped by 2X4's.
Any ideas on how to get them from point A to B? Gonna need a few guys. They are very heavy. Holy Crap!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Don't you have a garage full of tools?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Why yes I do, but these posts are unsettling heavy. The one with the motor on it must weigh 800 lbs. If that one fell on you, you would be crushed heavy. Looks are deceiving. The hardest part will be getting them in the garage.
There is a plus in that the 1 1/2" solid steel bottom gets bolted to the floor and then the posts get bolted to that.

I will take some pics in the daylight. Got to rustle up some strong help.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Okay, wrestling the monster into the garage went easier than I thought. The base which weighs about 600 lbs was first. Thought about using the engine hoist and some plywood on the stones, but neighbor come out with some PVC pipe and in it rolled.
With that done the lighter of the two posts, the follower, went in the same way, on rollers.
Got that bolted in in it's upright position and the proceeded with the next post. This one was not going to be rolled in. We backed a pickup to it, attached the engine hoist to the base and let it lean back and into the bed. We the backed the pickup in and raised the post with the hoist.
With that bolted in we ran the cables. Thought we might be able to get some up and down action going if we hooked the power up only to find the motor is 3-phase.

So now I am researching the cost to replace the 3-phase motor with a single phase or using a VFD to convert the single phase to 3-phase. I'll post some pics later.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Some pics

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Just run two more lines to the garage.. ta-da.. three phase. It runs on 420 vac? Heavy duty!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Thats exactly the type of lift i would want. Good find.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

We have liftoff!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Boxwrenchesareslow

haha, I had one of those in my old shop! Its their self standing 2 post, you dont "need" to even anchor it down but I cant immagine putting a car up there without bolts in the ground and feeling safe. The only thing i noticed with that lift is on long term projects,after going up and down a few times, the legs start to move a little under the car so sometimes you need to re-rack it.

Quick Reply: Bought a lift!!!