Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

AM radio upgrade for Ipod & CD player; REDIRAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
gtcs1
1st Gear Member

Default AM radio upgrade for Ipod & CD player; REDIRAD?

Hi,

I saw this system where you can just hook it up to an AM radio, no cutting or splicing req'd. This system is called RediRad. Anyone tried it? Sounds interesting, keeping your stock radio intact. http://rediscoverradio.com/

Before putting this amount of money, I'd rather hear from someone who has tried it here.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM
gtcs1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtcs1
Hi,

I saw this system where you can just hook it up to an AM radio, no cutting or splicing req'd. This system is called RediRad. Anyone tried it? Sounds interesting, keeping your stock radio intact. http://rediscoverradio.com/

Before putting this amount of money, I'd rather hear from someone who has tried it here.

Thanks
-bump
Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

never used it but I do have one question - AM radio is monophonic - will the output from this device also be monophonic (i.e. not stereo)?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

its a basically a FM modulator, but for the AM band.IMO if you have the AM radio, its only going to produce AM sound quality. I didnt hear them say ANYTHING about sound quality, so I guess its just a product to retain the stock radio and adapt a music player.Dont expect great results from it.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
gtcs1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
its a basically a FM modulator, but for the AM band.IMO if you have the AM radio, its only going to produce AM sound quality. I didnt hear them say ANYTHING about sound quality, so I guess its just a product to retain the stock radio and adapt a music player.Dont expect great results from it.
You're certainly right, the signal won't produce anthing better than your stock AM mono sound.

But I was just curious to see if anyone has tried it, to see if the signal has not distorsion or "noise" worst than a regular AM signal.

In fact I would even expect to have a better signal, since it is directly feed to the antenna plug, as compared to the air signal going thru the exterior antenna and cable, which isn't that great on a old AM radio.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

Never tried the AM modulator, but I went for the classic radio swap that looks almost identical. The benefit is it has direct rca connections in the back so I use my cable that runs to my headphone jack of my mp3 player.

2 flaws:
1) it is way to chrome to match the rest of my interior.
2) Either mine is broken or my radio volume is way adjusted (internally) wrong. When playing mp3s, my volume is quiet (mp3 vol st at max) and it works pretty good. When I switch to radio, even at the radios lowest setting, it is almost too loud to talk over.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:11 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Two things. First, the aftermarket radios with the classic look are junk as far as the internals go and way too high priced. You may as well have the cheapest Wal-mart no-name brand radio in your car. The obvious benefit is they fit well in the stock hole. I would personally rather have a good radio installed in an inconspicuous spot (Glove box comes to mind) and leave the original intact. In my particular case I wll be modifying the car to the extent necessary to install a decent modern stereo system.

Second. I looked at the Redirad website and they claim a money back guarantee. If it sounds like something that you would like, then order and install it. If it doesn't work the way you want, return it.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

I think its a really cool idea. Not for an audiophile, but that's a given.

It's an "authentic" way to hear the Beach Boys in a Mustang though. AM, through one speaker.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Humhead

I just installed one of these the other day and I'm pretty satisfied with the results even though it's only an am speaker the sound quality is still decent. I only bought the thing to be able to use my ipod, radio stations in los angeles are junk especially the am band you get either sports, rightwing propaganda, news and traffic or hispanic and korean stations. As long as you don't expect hifi or highdef audio, which you'll never get out of a car stereo anyway, you'll be good to go.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

With its being am band its gonna sound like a old clock radio.109jb they do sell a din size radio bezel for 67-73 cars so its easy to mount a good modern radio the 64-66 cars are kinda in a tight spot for a good radio.