Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Cobra Snake on Non-Cobra car !!!!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

Default Cobra Snake on Non-Cobra car !!!!!!

What are some of the mustang purists thoughts on someone putting Shelby Cobra Snakes on a non-Shelby Mustang ? Ive Already Put some really cool 2010 GT500 Cobras on my Stroked 1966 Fastback. Love the look and they are staying on, just curious how many think that its just not rite.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The wheels look good IMO but putting a badge on a car that isn't is wrong. What I mean is putting a snake emblem where a GT or running horse emblem should be. If you have cobras on the center caps then its not really a big deal imo. I would replace them but if they stay on then who cares really.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I run around with this little custom do-hickey slapped on the rear of my 65

Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
I run around with this little custom do-hickey slapped on the rear of my 65

I kinda like that, it says something but its not telling us the car is something it aint. Nice.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I have a snake on my gas cap. Scott Drake was out of the normal mustang caps and also out of the GT caps. It's the billet aluminum one. I don't like it....people who don't know anything about Mustangs will make comments like, "nice Cobra" and "cool Shelby, I saw the snake on the gas cap", stuff like that.

James
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM
ayyno

I think you should just stay away from it...it's like putting a sausage in your pants. Just be proud of what you have and go from there.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I got no problem putting Cobra valve covers or air cleaner on my motor, but I wouldn't put Cobra emblems on the body.

I definitely wouldn't do it on a newer Mustang that was actually sold as a Cobra like the Fox body or '94-'04 body style as those cars were sold as real Cobras. Putting Cobra emblems on NON Cobra cars is just badging and ratty.

I have come up against cars I thought were Cobras at a quick glance to give them a run and smoke them with my '99 GT only to find out they were 6 cylinder cars with Cobra emblems on it, it doesn't give the Cobra a good name to the Chebby boys when they smoke what they think is a Cobra and brag to their buddy's.

Vintage cars have a lot more leeway for the Cobra emblems and comes down to personal preference. Shelby's asides they were never sold truly as Cobras like the newer cars so that does give you a little grey area.

If I did put Cobra emblems on the cars body I better make sure to have the venom to go along with the bite if you know what I mean.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 04-05-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
82firebird

I think you should put whatever emblems, logos, stripes, etc. that you want to on your car. The only time incorrect badging crosses the line for me is when someone is trying to pass it off as something it is not.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

This reminds me of a kid on the forum that put Boss 302 stripes on his V6 and said its a tribute car! haha yeah right.

I don't like the idea of cobra emblems on a non shelby, or putting the GT500 or GT350 side stripes on a normal mustang. Along with many other things.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I kinda like that, it says something but its not telling us the car is something it aint. Nice.
I really should get a better pic....since I have gotten rid of that dated looking gas cap in 2007

And yes......if you put a VENOM badge on your car....it is a good idea that the car be able to back up what you are saying (which I can).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobra Snake on Non-Cobra car !!!!!!