Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Need advice for a compressor

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default Need advice for a compressor

I'm about to start sanding and getting ready for paint. I'd like a compressor that will handle both the sanding and the painting. I don't mind waiting for it to catch up now and then, but don't want one that runs every time you loosen a lug nut.

What would you buy? My budget is in the $600-800 range ...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Idk if their still popular but dont ever get an oil free compressor. You will be rebuilding it all the time.

We have this one http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...7&blockType=L7

Had it for years and its been a pretty great unit for us. If you plan to use power tools and not have to stop ever 2 mins i think this is about the smallest you want to go. We went through 3 smaller ones and one oil free this size before getting it. We have done many restorations with this, painting, cutting ect.

Last edited by jp1967stang; 04-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

We have a huge thread or two over at the garage journal about compressors, its worth the read.

Dont rule out a used older unit, it may be better than some of the new crap you get today. I firmly believe that a compressor is a lifetime purchase and you should not skimp, get the biggest you can afford, get cast iron compressors and get a 2 stage.

If I were buying with a $800 budget I would look around for a clean used USA made unit, google around and find out whats rebuild-able and whats not.
I have been using my USA made compressor for 15 years and have only once needed to repair it, an electronic starter went out on the motor, it was an easy part to replace.

Before I diagnosed it I thought the motor was bad, but the replacement motor from the same motor manufacturer are all CHINA now, thats sad because even the wires in mine are clearly marked "Made in USA". Im glad I got it when I did.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Thats a nice price on the craftsman. I got the biggest one menards makes about 5 years. 2 restorations later I burned up one motore . $300 - starting 2 sound a little weak now. when it goes I'm getting a Quincey 2 stage - see attached - very good rep.

If your only going to do one car and then occasional use I'd go with the craftsman. If you plan on doing more in future - I'd consider spending the extra bucks.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0475_200350475
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

craigslist. Got this Quincy for $650, 17 cfm at 175PSI 100% duty cycle. It's meant to run all day long and it's quiet. Take your time, took a month for this beauty to pop up. Oh yea, case of beer and a trailer when you go to pick it up, weighs in at 700 lbs so you'll need a few friends.

Palerider, LOVE my Quincy.

The op mentioned waiting for it to catch up. Expect hot air and a lot of moisture, I added the copper pipe to get the moisture out when I had my craftsman but with the Quincy I don't get much water in the pipes. With the copper I don't get anything in the separators or filters.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

As stated, stay away from the oil-less compressors, and stay away from the ones that turn too fast also, they will run you freaking nuts.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172983.htm

This one is a little higher than your budget, but I don't think you would be disappointed... My 7.5 hp from this company is pretty impressive.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

That was a great buy. The compressors from the "big box stores" don't even compare to a "real compressor". I wish I had saved alll the money I had WASTED on cheap *** compressors and bought a good one years ago, I would have been money ahead.

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
craigslist. Got this Quincy for $650, 17 cfm at 175PSI 100% duty cycle. It's meant to run all day long and it's quiet. Take your time, took a month for this beauty to pop up. Oh yea, case of beer and a trailer when you go to pick it up, weighs in at 700 lbs so you'll need a few friends.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
how used was that, it loooks brand new, nice
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Check your local CL...

Quincy really is good stuff. Just insist on cast iron and avoid aluminum at all costs. Also, remember that the bigger the tank the better, the point is to get it to run the least amount of times it can during painting because it only condenses moisture when it runs. The less it runs the less moisture you deal with. And as posted above you really need a hard line to act as a heat sink, that deals with moisture. I used 25' of galvanized running uphill the entire way with drip legs along the way. Copper is the best but it MUST BE BRAZED together, if you solder it like water pipe it will come apart in a fire and feed the fire like a blow torch. I think in TX its against code to solder it together. AND NEVER EVER EVER USE PVC PIPE AS AN AIR LINE.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2945286691.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/tld/2930933039.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2976578291.html
Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Couper
how used was that, it loooks brand new, nice
It was actually brand new never wired up. Business deal gone bad. One of the guys was pissed and knocked it over, the unloader was snapped off and the cage was a little bent. When I got this a few years ago there were a bunch of good deals around on craigslist. Just have to be patient and willing to look everyday. I bought it the day it popped up, I knew it wasn't going to last. 2hour drive each way. My 20 year old craftsman still sits under the bench, will only use it if I need to quickly blow something off only because it's located in a handy spot.

The best recommendation I can make is the copper pipe to cool the air pulling the moisture out. I had them on the other side of the garage and it worked perfectly with the little craftsman (15 gallon). If I had to do it over again I would get hot water baseboard to get better heat transfer. The quincy doesn't really get hot, even when using the blaster but the small single stage craftsman would be smoking after an hour.

In addition to the filters I also installed an auto purge to drain the tank. When I'm in the garage using air I'll power it up, every 30 minutes it will open and blast for 20 seconds taking any water out of the bottom of the tank. I have it plumbed to an outside location.

I'm hoping it will last the rest of my life. The motor starts unloaded so it should last. The only thing I found is in the winter months it takes about 30 seconds before it builds oil pressure, so it will run unloaded during that time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice for a compressor