Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Looking to buy this Mustang GT - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM
philom5

Default Looking to buy this Mustang GT - Opinions

Hi Guys, yup, I'm new here but I'm a long term member of several other car forums, mostly old school bmws. Don't hold that against me though

The reason I'm here asking for help is for a really good reason. My wife purchased with her own pennies a brand new Red 84 5.0 GT when she 22 years old. The car had 65k on the clock when it went into storage in Bend Oregon around 2001 and just this last year her mother sold the car to a local enthusiast for I believe around $1500 without telling my wife. Yes.., mom had the pink and signed my wife's name I believe. Anyway, the car is gone. Maybe someone here bought it ??

So.., I've been trying to find a replacement for her and having trouble finding a good example. Not to mention the prices are much higher then expected !

I found this car - http://www.santamonicarover.com/1966..._157770205.veh

But have no idea if it's a fair price, original interior/exterior appointment, the good, the bad, and ugly.

I'm open to all feedback as well as alternate suggestions on what would make a good replacement car, years/models, and available vehicles if anyone knows of any. My only condition is it has to be red and clean.

Thanks for the help

Phil.
______
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
CarGuyZM10
2nd Gear Member

The big thing that jumps out at me is that it was originally a 6 cylinder. This means it was not originally a GT, it probably is not up to GT standards now, and it might not have been made into a V8 car suspension wise in the best way.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
smitten

Well, at least they aren't actually SAYING it is a GT. They say "It comes with a 289 cu in (4.7 L) V8" which is corrrect enough. Disappointing engine bay wiring. A little over 'emblemed' (and incorrect for a GT anyway). Likely not a 'real' 289HP either. Price is quite high for the pedigree, IMHO. Awful purdy and red, tho' LOL! I'd pay 1/2 that asking price if all the rest checked out okay.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Insane price for a gr clone if you ask me. Check out some other cars or maybe a mecum auction?

Around here a nice T code ragtop can be had for under ten k. Sure the motor was changed but I don't consider much past the 5th digit in the vin when setting a value myself.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
philom5

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm passing. For this amount of money I'd expect to get the real deal. Just don't know enough about mustangs other then they are bitchin looking cars

If anyone needs help buying an old school BMW I can dissect them with the best !

On the left, 1965 Mustang Convertible (C Code engine, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior)

On the right, 1965 Mustang Fastback (GT, A Code engine, 4 speed Transmission, Deluxe interior)
CarGuy, are you selling these or just gleefully bragging

Thanks again guys, still hunting for a red GT convert so if you hear of any let me know.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

As the car sits i would say 18,500 tops being its a inline 6 vin and not a true gt hurts the value to me,I wouldn't buy it unless i knew all the parts that needed to be swapped was done right.If i was you i would look on craigslist around you or http://www.autotraderclassics.com/index.xhtml or a long shot is a few local mustang clubs maybe.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
CarGuyZM10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by philom5
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm passing. For this amount of money I'd expect to get the real deal. Just don't know enough about mustangs other then they are bitchin looking cars

If anyone needs help buying an old school BMW I can dissect them with the best !

CarGuy, are you selling these or just gleefully bragging

Thanks again guys, still hunting for a red GT convert so if you hear of any let me know.

Bragging a bit I guess :P They are actually my Grandfathers. We show them almost every weekend from May through October. He isn't allowed to sell them. I told him I would stand in the doorway to the garage so he couldn't get them out if he tried.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Im no mustang expert, but a friend of mine built a clone gt and looks real nice and he was asking $18,000 and got $14,000. If its not an original convertible make sure it has a sub frame connectors.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I believe every classic Mustang should have sub frame connectors regardless.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
smitten

... and torque boxes, monte carlo bars, export brace, shelby drop, roller perches, bigger front bar, disc barakes, better lighting.. and so it begins!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy this Mustang GT - Opinions