Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

69 Mach 1 with 40k miles

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
MustyMach1

Default 69 Mach 1 with 40k miles

Hey everyone,

Just joined the site, thought I would post an introduction. I was recently given a 1969 Mach 1 H code from my grandfather. It is the H code 351 windsor 2V with the FMX 3 speed tranny and white interior. 40k original miles and almost completely stock. Seems like the only unoriginal parts are dual exhaust, paint, and tires. But I have limited knowledge with mach 1's. Thats why I joined the site!

It needs a little bit of attention but for the most part it is extremely clean. The radiator leaks once it is warm so it looks like that will be my first project. I am trying to figure out what direction to go. I am torn on keeping it bone stock vs making it a little more economical to drive. This is where I would love to hear some opinions.

Here are some mods that I have floating around in my head:
Either patching the radiator or replacing with a 3 row brass or aluminum
Electronic ignition
4 barrel carb
Power front disc brakes

Most importantly here are some pics!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

That kind of car will never be economical to drive just will not happen. Since it's already close to stock I would keep it that way. It's going to be worth a lot more if it's kept stock and you ever go to sell it.

You MPG will take a nose dive with a 4 barrel on it. Plus you would have to change the intake to support the 4v.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
That kind of car will never be economical to drive just will not happen. Since it's already close to stock I would keep it that way. It's going to be worth a lot more if it's kept stock and you ever go to sell it.

You MPG will take a nose dive with a 4 barrel on it. Plus you would have to change the intake to support the 4v.
And cam.

Keep it the way it is and enjoy it. Aside from the fact that the pictures look like they were taken with the world's smallest camera, it looks incredible. I'd accept that as a gift any day of the week.

Congrats.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 AM
MustyMach1

Originally Posted by Waffles
And cam.

Keep it the way it is and enjoy it. Aside from the fact that the pictures look like they were taken with the world's smallest camera, it looks incredible. I'd accept that as a gift any day of the week.

Congrats.
Are new cams really necessary when changing to a 4 barrel? I have a new 750 holley laying around begging me to use it. Anyway, I will have to do something with the radiator, either fix the leak or replace it. Im not trying to mod the crap out of it or anything, just make it so I dont have to worry about it overheating or the ignition points acting up.

Oh, and here are some bigger pictures-

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

Mr Musty,congratulations, very, very nice,You do know that Mustang is worth a lot of money.
Make sure you have it appraised and insured .

With that in mind, if you want to add aluminum 4v intake and a 4v carb. & cam , just keep the original intake and carb, cam and you can go back any time.
Same with the other parts, just keep the original parts.

You can add a lot of parts and still have a nice car.
I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 05-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Oh yeah......That's the ticket.

I'd keep it so stock it stinks. Car shows are rife with modified Mustangs but the originals are few and far between. Get the radiator patched, call it a day and enjoy.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustyMach1
Are new cams really necessary when changing to a 4 barrel? I have a new 750 holley laying around begging me to use it. Anyway, I will have to do something with the radiator, either fix the leak or replace it. Im not trying to mod the crap out of it or anything, just make it so I dont have to worry about it overheating or the ignition points acting up.

Oh, and here are some bigger pictures-

I'd just replace it with a stock-type 3 core radiator from NPD or one of the other parts houses. No one would ever know the difference.

And a cam is not really a MUST, but it'd be a waste to replace an intake and carb and not do a cam too. It would just be half-assing the job. No point.

I've got a fairly highly modified 1970. And when I go to car shows, the ones that really draw my attention aren't ones like mine that are totally bastardized, it's the super stockers that look like they just got out of a time machine.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I really want that car its so nice looking.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

wow clean mach!! i love the color! but its your car do what you want have fun with it! id throw an intake and 4 barrel on it just save the old intake and carb if u decide to sell.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I believe that must be what mine looked like from the factory, based on the door tag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Mach 1 with 40k miles