Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Any thoughts on "black satin" paint for a '65?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Any thoughts on "black satin" paint for a '65?

Well...not exactly a great day. Stopped by a local bodyshop (the best one around here) to get an opinion or estimate on eventually painting my '65 coupe. The owner gave my car a good going over, and then told me that to fix everything that was wrong with it and do a really good paint job would run me around $15,000...!! I knew that it had some paint and sheetmetal imperfections done by a PO, and some bondo,etc....but this guy pointed out a few other details that I hadn't noticed...and he was right. He basically told me in "a nice way" that my car was a POS, at least bodywise. He then asked me if I had considered painting it "black satin", which he said he could do and could "make it look good" for about $5,000. I have personally never seen a car painted this color, and the stuff I saw on the internet looks to me like just black primer. Doesn't even look like you can wax it. So...what is the deal with this color? Any opinons?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

Try another body shop.

Unless your wanting a show car type finish you should be able to get it done down in the $5000 range. ...provided it's not a POS.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...already tried that. Problem is, around here (northeast Puerto Rico) hardly anyone will take on the job of painting a whole car...especially an old car. Most of the body shops tell me that they make all their money off insurance jobs...fixing collision damage for which they really rip the insurance companies! They don't want to bother with an old Mustang as it would take time away from the more "profitable" stuff.

Do you own a body shop, or a car lot? (just guessing from the word Autorama). If you have a bodyshop, send me a PM with your email, and I can send a few photos for a "second opinion". BTW...where are you in Louisiana? I lived there once, and still have good friends there (Arnaudville, Brusly), so curious.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:26 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

99% of the time when i see a car painted "satin" i immediately think it's primer, unfinished and hiding poor bodywork.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Around here it's very hard to get a body shop to paint a whole car. We've always used a rod shop to paint ours. They did excellent work and didn't overcharge us, but you do have to be willing to wait. Rod shops aren't used to doing production work and will take a lot of time with the car.

We so a lot of custom car/street rod stuff and I like black satin on street rods. I went and looked up some pics of early mustangs in black satin. Looks pretty good!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Mark Hone
1st Gear Member

PLEASE no. M.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id rock a flat black car...personally for 15k id say go out and buy a 700$ sata jet 4000 spray gun. a new two stage compressor for 800$ and a few gallons of paint and start practicing how to spray and doing mud work etc. you could mess up about 100 paint jobs and still come out ahead if you do it all yourself
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 AM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

Satin or as they call it hotrod black(or any other color) is the newest thing now. Even the top end cars are painting their cars satin. $5000 though is ripping you a new one. Learn how to paint and do it yourself.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have to vote no on the satin black. Its just a fad, and will be out of style sooner or later. Also, when cleaning or washing, you can end up with shiny polished spots.

I'd rather just take it to Maaco. That said, I don't really care about show quality perfect paint jobs either. If you drive them, they get dinged and scratched. You should be able to get a decent paint job for around 3k. Find someone that does metal work and see if they will do the rust repair separately.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 05-19-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...I've already decided against it myself. I've had a chance to see up close a couple cars painted that color around here. No way I'm going to pay good money to make my car look like that! (Sorry to those who like that color!). At least the current paint job I have is not screaming to be redone....just not great quality and the car has some rather amateurish bodywork in a few places (see attached photos)...nothing that I can't hold off on until I find better options. Think I'll first save up a few $$ for a good 331 stroker, then think about the cosmetic aspects! Thanks to all for the comments and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails Any thoughts on "black satin" paint for a '65?-img_4612.jpg   Any thoughts on "black satin" paint for a '65?-img_4614.jpg