Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Backyard Buddy
1st Gear Member

Cool!!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

It took some butt kicks this past week to get the boy to work on the Blazer instead of his Mustang, but he finally got it finished up yesterday just in time for Mom's visit home. He had promised her to have it running by the time she got here. He was close. she came home Saturday and he had it Running Sunday.

He did a few finishing touches today like new lug nuts all the way around, and washed it up to make it presentable. We even took it for a test drive to the gas station and down the highway. Road and drove pretty nice, and Quiet too, compared with other blazers I've had.

Now he can put this one up for sale to make some money for the Mustang project.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM
teeeeg67
1st Gear Member

Default Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....

Cool post! Excited to see what comes of it
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

very cool, your son is going to be very skilled if he keeps at this rate.

5.0 coyote and 6 speed for the mach? i think so
Old 08-18-2015, 04:23 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

^that would require a M2 front end to remove the shock towers...
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

The boy had gotten the jams, firewall, frame rails, and underbody blasted and epoxied a while back. Then it sat untouched due to school starting back up.

He did get a bunch of parts on order for Christmas, and we thought we had a replacement 351 and FMX trans to get, rebuild and install. Found one advertised about 2 hours from me and was willing to go up with the trailer and pick it or the whole car up Sunday. Turns out the guy that had it wanted the A/C off the car yet and hadn't removed anything from the car. He wasn't comfortable with me buying the whole car and removing the items for him. As we talked a little more I cansee why he wanted to remove them, it turns out he wanted everything A/C related (pump, brackets, hoses, sensors, condensor, and everything under the dash. But still wanted top dollar for the car.

At that point the only things we wanted were the motor, trans and related parts (a/c woulda been nice too since his had factory A/C), and the rest of the car was scrap (a waste of money to get what we needed, but wasn't all there). With the weather changing for the worse up here and the wife taking my hauling truck back to KC for the winter. I wouldn't be able to go pick anything up until spring again when I get the truck back. So we decided to pass on it.

By the time he got around to removing the parts he wanted and got the motor out, we'll most likely have eyes on other parts or have bought new.

Guess even though he had it listed for sale he wasn't ready to sell it on the spot for someone with cash in hand.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Christmas was a little late in arriving this year. The brown elves refused to deliver the parts last week even though they were in the same town on Wednesday night. They finally arrived Monday after noon and found out many of the boxes were torn and damaged, not to mention one was missing all together.

I contacted the brown elf dept. to try and track it down. They had a last scan of Chicago on their computer system yet my tracking number showed it arriving in my local town along with the other 6 packages. They filed a report and kept me informed.

Today I hear from them and find that the 7th package ended up in Omaha, NE.. Good grief Charlie Brown.

Any how we brought in the two front fenders and blasted any rust (Surface or otherwise), stripped the rest of the paint off with a sander and did some repairs. Hammer and dollied the big waves from leaning over the fenders doing previous motor work, and finished smoothing them out. Made up some epoxy primer and handed the gun to the boy. He looked at me rather strangely like aren't you gonna spray them and me watch?. I told him he has to learn to spray sometime and there is no better time than when spraying primer to learn about spraying paint. At this stage if he runs the primer he can sand it out.

After letting the epoxy set for a bit it was time for a few coats of high build primer.

From that angle it looks ok.

But from this angle you can see he'll need more practice.

The other fender looks a little better with only 1 run in the primer.

Today we had an appointment to go to Lake Geneva and look at a vehicle for using the motor and trans from. The price was decent and they will deliver it to my shop (good thing since the wife took my hauling truck back to KC for the winter).

I'll post more info on that after they deliver it this weekend.

Meanwhile I talked with the parts supplier about the backordered items (there were quite a few (and needed ones) before I can set up the rotisserie), they are expected to be at the facility next week and I should have them the week after that.

While I'm waiting for those I'll work on the 57Chevy and the 69 SC/Rambler drag car.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Work on the Scrambler was delayed due to finding a bent frame rail, Had to transport it to my buddies shop to put it on the frame bench.

So with a stall open in the shop tonight the boy and I worked on stripping both the doors, blasting the little bit of surface rust and repairing a few door dings. We started around 7pm and just finished putting the last coat of primer on at 10pm.

Not looking to bad for only 3 hours work.

More to come as we make progress.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

We had gone last Tuesday to Lake Geneva to look at a potential donor vehicle for the mustang. Yeah I know we just ordered a bunch of parts, but that was sheet metal. This was for the motor and trans.

The vehicle wasn't in that bad of shape and could easily be restored, but our intentions are to get it up and running, maybe drive it through the winter to make sure everything works the way it should, then come spring after it's proven it's worth, we'll remove the motor and trans and drop them into the mustang. Sounds good in theory anyway.

Here's a few pics of it as we got it under the tent and began removing the snow and ice and all the pieces buried within.

Like I said she's not in that bad of shape.

But here's what we were after.

It has a 351 Modified with a C6 Trans, power steering, power brakes, A/C, new exhaust and a few other goodies we can use.. According to the person I bought it from, the previous owner before him had been rebuilding it as a project car and rebuilt the motor and trans (they do look good and new gasket etc, also found some literature on Crower cams and Edelbrock parts, so it's very possible everything is on the up and up) but died before he could finish the car. The title was still in his name but they gave me a certificate of death to go with the title so I should still be able to title it here without too much trouble. I hope. If not I'll part it out.

As we unloaded everything from the pile of snow in the back we found we were missing a power steering bracket and the Alternator brackets, as well as the Crank pulley. Didn't think it would be that hard to find those parts, but I guessed wrong. Haven't found any yet. Of all the places I've looked so far the parts fit the 351 Windsor and not the 351 M. Picked up a couple parts from the local parts house that showed on their computer they fit the 351C, M and 400M. When we went to fit them the wouldn't work. As I looked at my 351 Cobrajet I saw those parts were what we needed for this 351 M as well. So, back online I go and sure enough, the parts were just a few digits off from what they gave me and those fit a Windsor. Those will be going back tomorrow and having them get the correct parts for me. This town is far from having anything classic in stock, but they'd be happy to order it for you (which any of us can do from home and not have to go back to get it a day or two later).

Anyhow, we did what we could tonight and hope to have better luck getting it fired up tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Good luck, but IIRC there are several reasons why the 351M is not a popular choice...

Quick Reply: Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....