Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Default Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....

Yep everyone of us had to start with something for a vehiclel whether it was what we wanted or just a means to get where we wanted.

For myself it started a long time ago, but I had the car I wanted by the time I was 16. It is a 72 Ford Gran Torino Sport Cobrajet. That was way back in 1982.

Fast forward to about 2013.

My son is turning 15 and wants a vehicle. Well a customer of mine couldn't pay his bill and had an 89 Full size Blazer he'd trade for part of the labor. It was a theft recovery vehicle so it had parts, but not all the correct parts. I talked with my son and we agreed to take it in trade and let my son work on it to earn money towards his dream car. So here it is as it came in the shop.

There was no motor, trans, or interior, but it did have some with it, even if they were vehicle specific.

So over the next year or so we stripped it a part, did a frame off rotisorie project, and dropped in an LT1.

Bear with us through this part till we get to the present day.

Fast forward again to this year.

This past week a customer of mine stopped in to sell a rotisorie (which I didn't need as I already had one), but I knew of someone that might be interested. as we were talking cars and BSing, he mentioned selling another project he never got to. Me being a car guy asked him what it was and price, etc. His answers were as follows:

What it is?

AN old Mustang.

As my son's eyes lit up.

Really. What year?

My son's eyes got even bigger. and he really had his attention to the conversation now.

Is it a Fastback?

It's a sportsroof Mach 1.

You couldn't hold back the excitement of my son at this point. He was practically saying yes dad let's take it with out hearing the cost or seeing the condition of the car.

We chatted for a while yet and I was cyphering in my head if I would have enough cash flow to pick this up after all the other bills for things that were just ordered this week.

We figured we'd go take a look at it and go from there.

So off to my customers farm we went. We walked around a few corners and spotted a 70 mustang coupe and thought he had misspoken. We kept walking around the building and sure enough there it was, under a leanto of the back of the barn. A 1969 Mustang fastback.

It had been repainted back in the 80's and was missing the side stripe. We looked it over checking the normal wear and rust areas, and she was looking much better than many we've seen on the net for much more than this.. The motor was missing, as he stated he bought it without the motor back in 1987.

My son was about to pick the car up and carry it home right then and there. No trailer no nuthin, just toss a chain over his sholder and drag it home.

Looking at the interior it was indeed a Mach 1. Originally had a 351 windsor,c6 auto, and white interior. Not sure on the rear end at this point.

We talked for a bit longer and I told my customer I'll see if I can swing it after I pay for all the other materials and bills that week, and I'd call him after I talked with my buddy about taking the rotisorie.

My son was that little sad faced puppy, wishing dear ole dad (whom he thinks is just made of money) would have just said I'll take on the spot.

After paying the other bills and checking with my buddy on the rotisorie I was just about ready. I decided to call my customer and see if he'd make me a package deal on both the mustang and the rotisorie to bring it into my cash flow range. After the normal back and fourth, we compromised on the price and I was within $200 of cash flow in hand. My son heard me talking and said "Dad, I've got some saved yet. You can use that for the car so we can get it" So at that point the deal was made. The Boy was exstatic beyond belief. it was as if he'd just had a new life handed to him on a silver platter.

We arranged to pick up the Mustang and the rotisorie that night. So here are some photos as we drug her out of her long term storage spot.

Once it was home my son cleaned her out from all they years of critters using it as a home, and then washed it and began buffing out the 30 plus year old faded enamel paint. Not that it's gonna stay, but at least we'll be able to see any and all dings to repair before we get there.

This will be a year long project and will progress as work gets done in the shop to provide funds for restoring my Son's Dream car.

Current plans for motor trans, suspension, etc are up in the air at this point. Toying with the idea of picking up a wrecked newer Stang and grafting the undercarriage to this body along with all the modern engine and electrical systems. We'll have to wait and see what comes available at the same time the funds are.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

I would kill for that car, it looks extremely clean!!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

351s did not come with C6s...FMX was the auto for them and they won't break.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
351s did not come with C6s...FMX was the auto for them and they won't break.
I stand corrected.

Going by what I was told by the owner.

The boy has been out this week disassembling everything, getting it ready for metal work.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

That was a post I really enjoyed! Neat car man, congrats!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

The boy has been out disassmebling the mustang the past couple of days while I've been in the shop putting the finishing touches on a 56 chevy to go out the door this weekend.

I'll post progress as he gets things done.

School starts back up in a few weeks so progress will really slow down then.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Power disks? Nice...
Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

I'm liking his drive at this point. He's out working on disassembly pretty much all day except for meals.

He's wearing a pretty good path from out behind the shop (where his makeshift garage is) to inside asking questions about how to get something apart or if bolts are stuck and how to get them unstuck. So I take the time to help when I can, but sometimes he has to wait a little while as I finish up something on the 56 first.

Not a lot of progress today as he did have quite a few stuck bolts. Nothing to worry about as they will be all new when it goes back together.

He's got the doors off

The tail end disassembled

Removed the fuel tank. Although the outside of the tank looks good, the inside is full of rust scale and varnish.

Her's been soaking the bolts with PB blaster and having some success.

He even removed all the side glass today.

He's still out working on removing the wiring harness, so we'll see how far he gets.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:02 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Wow that's sweet.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 07-31-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:17 PM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

This weekend is a break from the Mustang. He had promised Mom he'd get the 89 Blazer running soon, so it could be put up for sale to cover the cost of the Mustang and any parts it might need.

So this weekend, He and I cleared out the shop of customer cars and pulled in his White Blazer and my Maroon one to swap Motor and drive trane's so we could get his ready forsale.

The Lt1 Needed a lot of extra parts ($$$$) yet to get it running and we had just spent it all on getting the Mustang, so this was the next feasible option. My maroon blazer had a body that was getting tired( I had built it 16 years ago and drove it daily), so We opted to put it's good drive train (EFI 350 engine/700r4trans/208transfercase and all the wiring and computers) into his and get it rolling.

We got most of the swap done today, but have to finish the exhaust, some wiring, and re install the front clip on his Blazer tomorrow.

The next week he can tinker with his Mustang again.

Quick Reply: Everyone's gotta start somewhere.....