Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

66 coupe I6 to 302 T5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Kyle Kerns

Default 66 coupe I6 to 302 T5

Morning everyone! I'm new here and looking for some knowledge. I'm shooting from the hip here a bit, but my goal is to take my original 66 mustang (coupe) with an straight 6 and upgrade it to a 302 with a T5 transmission. I know thus far I'll have to do quite a bit in upgrading (brakes, suspension, rear end, etc.).

What I'm curious about is a good starting point, and where to find quality parts without breaking my wallet.

Thanks!

(Also, I'm not doing this swap alone. My dad's helping and he has about 5 frame off restores under his belt.)
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

You will break your wallet. It may be worth it. Look for a donor car as spindles, springs, rear end and virtually everything else will need to be changed. Consider what your car is worth in its original state as well as what it will be worth when done. Then compare this to what you spent. It is sometimes cheaper to start with someone else's project that is closer to your desired project goals and finish it. All of the vendors here are good sources as well as Amazon and eBay. EBay is also a good source to see what modded cars are bringing at auction. Good luck and have fun.