Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Which is worth more in the end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM
sremle

Default Which is worth more in the end?

After reading about my 1965 Early, Mustang here, I ask the question. From a resale value point of view what is better? Repair the leaky power steering or change to manual. I think the car came with power steering. I thought I had the power steering leak fixed, but it started again. Not to mention the leaky steering left a trail all the way into my garage. It was fun while the car was not leaking.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Gun Jam

If the car is low mileage and or all original then its main selling point is originality. In my personal opinion something like the flaming river manual steering box with MS drag link conversion is an upgrade over the original PS system. Much less slop, improved road feel. But parking lots can be a bummer the MS system does take some upper body strength. I did daily drive it for many many years. I recently went with a TCP power rack and pinion which is a massive upgrade over everything. Its not cheep and it was worth every penny in my case.

However I suspect your vehicle is quite original if that is your only selling point either option is likely to devalue it to those buyers who are looking for mint examples of how those vehicles would have existed when new 50 years ago. The more you move away from that the less it appeals to those buyers.

I also reckon you are fixing to sell it directly... NPD offers rebuilt valve bodies and PS components as well as PS Rebuild kits for original valve bodies. its likely you can rebuild the original and get to stop bleeding long enough to flip it. This is the lowest cost solution with the lest reduction in originality. In your case probably the best solution

-Gun
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 AM
sremle

Wink

Thank you for you prompt answer Nick. Spending more money to create less value is what I gathered, in my search. Since digging up old post is frowned upon, I just asked again. Less cost to repair old, for me since I do my own work. I just have too many irons in the fire currently. If I were going to change this car from original, it would have a 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel. This Mustang is a low mileage original that should remain as original as possible. Keeping this rig original is what I will do. Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Chockostang can also rebuild your original power steering pieces. I've heard better reviews of his work than the aftermarket refurb p/s stuff, which commonly leaks after install.

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/
Old 06-04-2017, 12:01 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

You could also upgrade to the Borgeson steering box. It is power but all the assist is in the box itself. It is more subtle than the rack conversions.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:50 PM
sremle

Since repairing is the best to keep my rig ORIGINAL. Here is what I did. Cut off the high pressure line and replaced the short fitting with a longer fitting. I did no find any detailed information or pictures on what to do, so I am posting here. Moderators feel free to move my presentation.

The leak was primarily due to the fitting bottoming out before getting tight.
Name:  Powersteer10.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.03 MB
A longer fitting and a new flare has solved the problem for $2.79 + tax and my labor. ($80 per hr.)
Name:  powersteer50.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  2.04 MB
If there are other early power steering pictures, please also provide a link.

Cheers