Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

3 speed to Automatic suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM
fstbll42@hotmail.com

Default 3 speed to Automatic suggestions

Hello everyone. I currently have a 66 mustang coupe, 289 with a 3 speed transmission. the previous owner has put some work into the block and has also added a 9" rearend. disk brakes all the way around some exhaust. i am debating on whether or not to upgrade to a T5 or an automatic (AOD) i believe.

Just need some insight as to if that 3 speed to auto is a pretty DIY install or will i have to buy a bunch of random parts to make it all work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Travis
Broken Arrow,OK
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You're always going to need a bunch of random parts

If you're mechanically inclined and do your research beforehand, I bet you can get either swap done. That said, the AOD may be slightly easier.

If you go AOD, you'll need to swap out the pedals, set up the TV cable, and pick up new shifter parts. I don't know if you'll need to adjust the driveshaft length or replace the crossmember.

If you go with a T5, you'll need to figure out clutch actuation (cable vs hydraulic) and pick up all the miscellaneous conversion parts for the swap, including clutch, bellhousing, shifter (recommend an aftermarket shifter), crossmember, speedo cable, etc. I believe you can get away with the factory driveshaft length, but it would be a good idea to check it anyway.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Gun Jam

Go t5

Get the cobra or z spec with .63OD and run 4.11 gears in the back with a 25" tall tire and run 86mph at 3000 rpm or 2300 at 65mph.

The cross member and hydraulic stuff and the trans can be had from modern driveline. The cable works well until it catches fire on the exhaust headers. The hydraulic system is much cleaner. The system offered by MDL is very smooth and works well with a 10.5 clutch.

THe hard part is the pedal assembly and it sounds like you've already got that!

-Gun
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM
fstbll42@hotmail.com

Thank you guys for the input. I am just learning how to drive a standard in the capacity that would make it fun to drive. I can drive a standard but to DRIVE a standard is a different thing. I know that the T5 is a completely different animal than the 3 speed but thing ultimately for my skill level and drive-ability I am going to go Automatic.

Now the questions is which Automatic should I be trying to source and out of what year Ford's?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I learned to drive stick on my original 3sp. Skill will come with practice; you shouldn't let that get in your way. If anything, a T5 would be easier to drive. They're much smoother, easier shifting transmissions, and the clutch would end up much lighter as well.

But if driveability and being able to hold a cup while you steer are important to you, than by all means go for the AOD.

I'm not sure of a comprehensive list of donor cars, but 85-93 Mustang V8 cars should definitely work.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 AM
fstbll42@hotmail.com

Starfury.... you make great points and I am going to have to relinquish my "Man Card" cause holding a cup is very important. lol in all seriousness I just want to make sure I am capable of driving my wife and son around and not worry about stalling out. I know that is the wussy way out but that's how i feel.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:52 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if youre gonna make the jump to automatic id have an AOD built with 4r70w parts they are stronger and have better gear ratios
Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 AM
fstbll42@hotmail.com

Rmodel65 - I plan on doing something along these lines but doesn't the 4r70w require electronics that are not required on the AOD? I am just want to make sure I get something that will last a long time and not cause more issues. I am not going to be drag racing this thing (very often) so it will mostly be a daily driver / date night ride.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That's why he recommended having an AOD rebuilt with 4R70W parts. You get AOD simplicity with stronger, more modern internals.