Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

TRY Y Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default TRY Y Headers

Does anyone know and or run a set of HIGH QUALITY try y's ? I've looked around and around and can't seem to find on the Internet a good set with actually good customer reviews on them. All I hear is "warp and leak" in reviews. If money was not a concern, what do you think is best quality try y header that you can buy on the market? Any feedback appreciated !
Old 05-23-2017, 12:47 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

probably some from JBA. i have one of the sets from a parts house that are 200$ or less they interfere with my clutch linkage and the steering when turned full lock to one side
Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I've heard real good things about DOUG'S, has anyone has a set of these?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Doug's-Headers...FVm2wAod-hQCqQ
Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Also heard very good things about Doug's headers. If they made full-length headers that worked with manual clutch linkage, I might be considering them as an alternative to FPAs.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

I also heard about tri-y having clearance issues so I got these for my '65: http://www.cjponyparts.com/patriot-e...1973/p/EXHD13/ Don't have them installed yet but I've heard they are pretty darn good.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I run Doug's Tri-Y's in my 66 coupe, have never been disappointed, worth the money. Have had them in a few of my cars. Currently running a C4 and power steering, no clearance issues what so ever. I can absolutely say I have never, never, experienced a blown header gasket, or leak. The flanges are thick, and the gasket they provide is high quality. The only issue you might have is the header bolts because the clearance between the bolt and the header tube can be quite close. My suggestion are allen head bolts with lock washers, they're probably the easiest to access. I use a shortened allen wrench and it makes the job very easy.
Attached Thumbnails TRY Y Headers-tran-cooler-bottom.jpg   TRY Y Headers-engine.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Those allen head bolts scare me. Bolts have a tendency to soften up in high heat applications as carbon is pushed out of the steel, and the reduced leverage of the internal hex just seems like it would round out after a bit of use.

I like my ARP exhaust bolts, which use a smaller diameter hex (5/16"?) than standard and allow for a bit more clearance. I've rounded off a Craftsman open end wrench, but the bolts have yet to round off.

Last edited by Starfury; 06-15-2017 at 10:57 PM.