Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Looking to get into a 65-70 mustang

Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
zlykot

Default Looking to get into a 65-70 mustang

Hi all,

I have always loved the fastback look of the classic mustang and now I am looking for a project. I have a good amount of experience working on (mostly modern) cars and custom fabrication (mostly turbo parts). Now I would like to take a stab at restoring a old classic.

I have purchased a handful of books on repair and restoration of these cars and have been looking at ebay/cl in the chicago area.I would like to start working on a budget and project plan but I have a hard time trying to figure out initial prices of cars.

The general idea is that this would be a restomod, mostly stock looking and a good amount of performance. I am not a body man, however the idea of replacing various sheet metal isn't foreign to me. I have good amount of tools from hand tools to MIG, TIG, plasma to CNC equip of necessary.

In any case, I would like some feedback on car values specifically I was looking at 2 ads on CL
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/c...326999574.html

65 fastback, non matching #, swapped engine(used to be a v6), overall looks like a good candidate, most of the parts look to be there, supposedly little rust but 12k does seem fairly high.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...322854806.html
Another 65, numbers matching, Needs a ton of metal work, torque boxes, frame rails, floors, probably fenders etc. Price-wise its closer to what I would like to pay but the missing parts will add up quick is my guess. It's also 2h away from chicago which adds to the cost.

Another question I had was around the color, it seems non OEM colors are usually not desired from the resale perspective. How about color changes to another OEM color, i.e. red to black/gray.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Tom
Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You'll be doing good to find a fastback that isn't just trashed for under $10k. That first 65 if it does in fact have very little rust would be a pretty good deal, especially if it is in driving condition.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

tht burgundy fastback looks to need about 20k in sheet metal repairs...spend 20k and buy a solid car.

Search this Thread