Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

68 Mustang, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM
djhitt07

Default 68 Mustang, need some help

I've got a 68 convertible that was my dad's baby. When he passed away I brought the car home from out state. It had and still has issues with the brakes so I had it in my garage for almost a year and started it up just fine once in a while until last fall when it stopped starting out of nowhere.

Its not getting fuel to the carb, I've switched out the pump, blown out the lines, changed the filter, tried running from an external fuel source, nothing has worked. Can anyone give me a new direction to try to get it running? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Remove and clean the jets.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Remove and clean the jets.
He implied the carb is dry. Wonder how messing with jets might help. Facetious are you? imp
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean you ran from an external fuel source and still don't have fuel in the carb? A piece of hose from a gas can connected to the carb input doesn't fill the carb? Then the float is stuck or the float valve is sealed to the inlet.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The fuel jets in the carb could be clogged. It's not funny at all, if the carb is dry.

Before cranking, put the fuel pedal to the floor, this will open up the secondaries,
then crank, wait 2 seconds, and then pump the fuel pedal to and from the floor, for
another a five or so seconds. Stop cranking, now, go see if any fuel got into the carb...

IF the float stuck upward, full bowl, then the fuel is cut off from the carb. Usually
they stick downward, and allow too much fuel over that much time of sitting.
Personally, I never had one stick closed. Even on my motorcycles, they stuck
down, and fuel ran out the over-flow hoses...
Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 PM
djhitt07

Originally Posted by bop11
What do you mean you ran from an external fuel source and still don't have fuel in the carb? A piece of hose from a gas can connected to the carb input doesn't fill the carb? Then the float is stuck or the float valve is sealed to the inlet.
I had the gas running from a can to the pump.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 PM
djhitt07

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
The fuel jets in the carb could be clogged. It's not funny at all, if the carb is dry.

Before cranking, put the fuel pedal to the floor, this will open up the secondaries,
then crank, wait 2 seconds, and then pump the fuel pedal to and from the floor, for
another a five or so seconds. Stop cranking, now, go see if any fuel got into the carb...

IF the float stuck upward, full bowl, then the fuel is cut off from the carb. Usually
they stick downward, and allow too much fuel over that much time of sitting.
Personally, I never had one stick closed. Even on my motorcycles, they stuck
down, and fuel ran out the over-flow hoses...
I had the fuel hose disconnected from the carb when I cranked just to see if anything was coming out, nothing got to the end of the hose. Do I need it connected to the carb to draw the fuel?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:39 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

If you did not get fuel out of the fuel pump, it ain't working. Mechanical fuel pump or electric? You do not need the fuel hose connected to the carb to get fuel out of the pump.
Mechanical pump: Diaphragm shot, fuel line plugged, fuel tank empty, fuel tank plugged
Electrical: check pump is running when ignition is on. if so pump bad and all of the above. If not running check wiring and cut-off if it has one. If it does not have a cutoff, when the pump is fixed insure to install one.
Many times I have rapped the carb on all sorts of equipment to free up a stuck float needle. Especially the rubber tipped ones which swell and stick in the orifice and especially if sitting for years.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 AM
Worth1
1st Gear Member

take off the fuel line at the pump that goes back to the tank, blow threw it and have someone listen for bubbles in the tank, if no bubbles, it's a clogged line or a hole in the line or sender pickup. If you hear bubbles, see if you can suck fuel threw the line. If you can hook it back to the pump, take off the line that goes to the carb and crank the engine. You should get a real good flow of fuel. if not the pump is NG. If you do it probably has a stuck needle in the carb.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:13 AM
djhitt07

Turns out the pump I originally bought was bad so I was chasing my tail. Got a new one in and got it fired up.

Quick Reply: 68 Mustang, need some help