Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear End Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear End Confusion

Well started collecting all the data i needed for the rear end rebuild. Then hit some interesting stuff. The rear end is a 9" And the tag states that it has Traction Lock because it says 3L25. The Ratio is 3.25 gears and the L means Traction lock. What is traction lock? Because right now only one tire will spin. And I already have a posi unit to put in there.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear End Confusion

i can think of a few ideas.....not original rear end.....clutches extremely worn out...if that what makes it not lock anymore.....or L dosent always mean locking???
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

It probably was a traction lock, but the clutches are worn out. Most old ones will be.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:14 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that makes sense. So what do you suggest? Take it apart and check if there is a Traction Lock setup in there? How would i know if there is (my step dad said something about some bolts being recessed) And if there is get the clutches replaced? Or put the Posi i picked up (would need new bearings, dont even know its condition, garage sale item) in there instead.

Thanks again. And the whole not original to the car thing is very open, it was put together with some 70 or 71 donor car parts such as the tranny, fenders and other things.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

*bump*
Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

How do you know the clutches are good in the one you bought? I've got an uncle that has a 95 F150 with a positive traction. Its got 60K on in and the clutches are already going in it.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You won't know about the clutches until you put the car on one wheel, then put it in gear and see if the car tries to move.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:46 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

^^i'm going to go find a high curb and test if the clutches are bad in the current one lol.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:45 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Heres some more questions
1. How would i be able to tell if there is a traction lock in there and the clutches are just worn? (if i take it apart what would it look lke)

2. And If the clutches are bad in the current one is it possible to get them replaced or just install the other posi i have? (be in mind i dont know the condition of it either)
Old 06-02-2007, 01:48 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

There are physical differences between an open differential carrier and a Traction Lok carrier, so yeah if you take it apart you can visually determine if it is a Traction Lok carrier or not. If you're only getting one wheel action, then it may need a rebuild if it is a Traction Lok, or chances are some time in the past someone replaced the carrier with an open carrier if they really didn't know what they were doing, or maybe just needed a quick fix. Check out this website:

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

It describes the differences between all the 9-inch housings and carriers including how to tell if you have a Traction Lok or not. The quickest way to look at it and tell is to drop the third member and take a look at the carrier where the ring gear bolts are. If the bolthead spacesare cut in to the metal, then it is a Traction Lok. If the carrier is flat where the bolt heads are, then it is not a Traction Lok.

If it needs to be rebuilt, you can buy all the parts you need from places such as Summit Racing online. They carry clutch paks for Ford Traction Lok differentials.

FYI it's not hard at all to open up a Ford 9-inch rear end. It's the easiest and quickest rear end to work on. Just remember you have to pull the axles out of the carrier before you can remove the third member assembly to look at the carrier. If you need some help on a step by step procedure on how to disassemble it let me know.

Quick Reply: Rear End Confusion