Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Tipsup

Default RE: 1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)

i got some more info from what i see and my research its the 78 black Mach 1 or fastback and these are the new parts he has put on : Brakes, Roters, Calippers, drums, clutch, crank seal, oil pump, and exhaust system. It does have minor rust and inside looks just fine. Taking the test drive tomorrow.

also i will try to get some pics of it
Old 05-27-2006, 04:01 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

Is the car a V-8 ?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Unless it's a Cobra then the value will never go up. The fact that they're rare doesn't mean anything until there is demand for them which, as this site is proving, there wont be. But I guess you never know because Edsel's sell for a lot of $$ these days
Old 05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
76MACH1

ORIGINAL: mustanglover66

the only thing those cars are good for is parts for a real mustang
Can you please explain yourself? If you need a 74 to 78 for parts, then it must be worth something. Then the only thing useable would be the engine and tranny.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

Tipsup..by now you have opinions left and rigth , however it all up to you..if you like the car go for it!!!, if you are not sure do some more reserch and also consider if after buying it is the car that you are going to be proud of it, also you may consider to wait and save a bit more and go for a restorable nice 65 66 coupe..but is only my opinion the important thing is that in the long run is yours the one that matters..good luck and let us know
Old 05-31-2006, 01:31 PM
76MACH1

Thanks Dean for your support.

To you other guys who claim to be part of the Ford family, I don't care for '79 to '86 Stangs. My brother has an '87GT convertible, and 2 of my nephews have owned early 90s Cobra convertibles. The biggest problem with Fox body Mustangs, is they don't look like a Mustang, yet they became very popular. They don't have one thing in common with a 60s Mustang. No styling, a detuned 302 until they brought back the GT.

Put a '75 to '78 that has a V8 with equal horsepower up against a 60 something, and I guarantee you, it will out perform it on any road course.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

yeah, as long as the suspension is stock! the suspension from the 60's had less technology than the 70's suspension.

as per the fox bods. i like 'em, i have a 66 sitting in my driveway, my first car was an 86 stang, just got rid of an 89 stang and would love to find another fox gt.

you say they dont look like a mustang, well, the 64 1/2 thru 69 had very common body lines, the 70-73 started getting a little boxy, but a very one of a kind body style, 74-78 looked like early stangs that got smooshed, the 79-86 would have more closely resembled the classics, as they had the set in headlights, and the 87-93's had the same body lines. than the sn-95's come out, based on the fox chassis, and they had a bit more "style" to them. than the new edge sn-95's came out, somewhat reverting to the boxy lines of the ever present fox, and our newest addition to the family, a very god attempt to revive the classic body lines. i will admit, when that first came out i didn't like it at all. i thought it was a lame *** attempt for ford to sell more stangs, but i must admit, that style has grown on me big time. yeah, if they kept the stang looking exactly the same forever all of them would look cool as the origional, but come on dude. people will get tired of that quick and there wouldn't be a "classic" section to this forum.

here i agree by disagreeing.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

I'll take a 78 King Cobra over ANY 65-73 coupe anyday. I think it's true that most people enjoy the cars they couldn't have as teenagers. We were way too poor to even consider me getting a brand new car in high school. BUT.... I still took my happy *** down to the Ford dealers and sat in everything that I thought was cool.

It's kind of funny, there was a 1979 F-150 Indianapolis 500 truck on the showroom here at Bobby Hopper Ford in Springdale, Arkansas. I remember sitting in that truck and marveling at its' beauty. I wanted it terribly . I watched the truck grow old right here in this same little town and I was broken hearted every time I saw it had a new dent or scrape. Then one day 20 plus years later , I was taking my daughter to softball practice and there it sat on the roadside with a for sale sign. I stopped and bought it on the spot. THE VERY SAME TRUCK that I sat in as a wide eyed 16 year old now lives in my driveway. I'll restore her this winter.

Most people don't give a rodents' anus ( that's a rats' *** in laymans terms ) about the F-150 Indy trucks , but I do. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Now where is that red King Cobra that sat on the Lewis Ford showroom ? I'd buy it if I could find it. I won a million races and traveled a million miles in that car, all in the course of one summer on the dealers showroom floor.

Kind of funny how we get so attached to an inanimate object huh ? Long live the 74-78 Mustang II's and every other year and model of our beloved Mustangs. I suspect there's a stable waiting for just about any of them.

JMHO, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/A425BE51050B4FF4B83768B0ED167721.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 AM
76MACH1

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

you say they dont look like a mustang, well, the 64 1/2 thru 69 had very common body lines,... 74-78 looked like early stangs that got smooshed, the 79-86 would have more closely resembled the classics, as they had the set in headlights, and the 87-93's had the same body lines. than the sn-95's come out, based on the fox chassis, and they had a bit more "style" to them. than the new edge sn-95's came out, somewhat reverting to the boxy lines of the ever present fox, and our newest addition to the family, a very god attempt to revive the classic body lines. i will admit, when that first came out i didn't like it at all. i thought it was a lame *** attempt for ford to sell more stangs, but i must admit, that style has grown on me big time. yeah, if they kept the stang looking exactly the same forever all of them would look cool as the origional, but come on dude. people will get tired of that quick and there wouldn't be a "classic" section to this forum.

here i agree by disagreeing.
The '05 Mustang is very retro. It has "THE" Mustang "side" body styling like the '74 to '78 and the '94 up, except the plus of the '94 up was the had style and aerodynamics. The '79 to '93 look plain. The only reason they became so popular, was because they were cheaper, and more common than Camaros.

I don't know how old you are, but growing up with 60s and early 70s muscle, gives me an appreciation for the new Mustang, the potential Camaro, the potential Challenger. I was impressed with the retro Thunderbird, and it's resemblance to the 50s style that outsold the Corvette. I liked the mid 90s Impala SS, and it's bold look, that was far better than a front wheel drive Bonneville SSE, or the newer Impala, or the Nova that looked like a Chevette. I was upset by the way Chrysler went bananas with front wheel drive in the 80s, and the new Labaron, Charger, Daytona, the Shelby Omni etc.

I realize that everybody has their own taste, but Ford got away from what made the Mustang so stylish, with the Fox body. That's why they had to came back to a retro look.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 76MACH1
The '05 Mustang is very retro. It has "THE" Mustang "side" body styling like the '74 to '78 and the '94 up, except the plus of the '94 up was the had style and aerodynamics. The '79 to '93 look plain. The only reason they became so popular, was because they were cheaper, and more common than Camaros.

I don't know how old you are, but growing up with 60s and early 70s muscle, gives me an appreciation for the new Mustang, the potential Camaro, the potential Challenger. I was impressed with the retro Thunderbird, and it's resemblance to the 50s style that outsold the Corvette. I liked the mid 90s Impala SS, and it's bold look, that was far better than a front wheel drive Bonneville SSE, or the newer Impala, or the Nova that looked like a Chevette. I was upset by the way Chrysler went bananas with front wheel drive in the 80s, and the new Labaron, Charger, Daytona, the Shelby Omni etc.

I realize that everybody has their own taste, but Ford got away from what made the Mustang so stylish, with the Fox body. That's why they had to came back to a retro look.
i do agree that they were extremely understyled, but they do have a tendancy to grow on people. you say mustang and you'll either make someone think of a fox bod or a 64 1/2-69. i also LOVED the "retro" job they did on the t-bird and totally agree with the Novette! i'm glad dodge (chrysler) came back out with a rear drive platform, just as i was when lincoln came out with the LS rear drive platform.

Quick Reply: 1978 Mustang II (Worth it?)