MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   What should it cost to replace a rear qtr. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/153989-what-should-it-cost-to-replace-a-rear-qtr.html)

skiprCH 07-18-2006 08:56 PM

What should it cost to replace a rear qtr.

Hi all!
We have long winters in Colo. and this winter I want to get my first rear quarter replaced. Just wondering what a fair price is for the qtr. replacement baring any unknown problems. I guess that should include inner and outer wheel wells? You would think so if you have the qtr off but I am just trying to get a scope of the work and cost so I can save up.
Walt
PS-pic is the car before the start of all the mods. Next time you see her it will be Candy Apple Red :)
[IMG]local://upfiles/18678/BD1A9530E98545F7903C832A27551AA9.jpg[/IMG]

428coupe 07-18-2006 09:00 PM

RE: What should it cost to replace a rear qtr.

Are you doing the work or taking it to a shop?

skiprCH 07-18-2006 09:03 PM

Got to be a shop as I do not have the welding skills to try it. I have read if you are not a welder don't go there.
Walt

Soaring 07-18-2006 09:21 PM

Walt, your rear quater panel looks good according to the pic. If it is rusted just a tad, as the picture indicates it might be, then a rust encapsulator and some quality filler will keep that quarter going for many years to come. I really don't see the need to replace the rear quarter, but if you feel like it has to be done, then you may as well replace the inner one as well. Cost? I don't know. You will have to take it to two or three body shops for estimates. It won't be cheap for a full quarter replacement, but again, I don't think you will need that.

skiprCH 07-18-2006 09:33 PM

Hi Soaring,
It is hard to tell from the pic but the rear qtr. drops an in. and a half near the rear of the tire compared to the good side. The line from the bottom of the rear valance towards the tire drops to far. One and a half in. to far. The other side was hit and patched poorly. I might be able to just do a proper lower qtr. patch on the left rear but not on the other side. Is is all bondo. [:@]
Walt

[IMG]local://upfiles/18678/F38BD5DBFCD945BFABC9592A958F4949.jpg[/IMG]

Soaring 07-18-2006 09:40 PM

Ok, then just take it into a quality body repair shop and ask them for a price to replace it. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet if we don't have the skills to do it ourselves. That sure is a pretty vert though, so I would think you would want to make it right.

skiprCH 07-18-2006 10:07 PM

Thx fer the compliment Soaring! I do want to make her right but a little at a time as my walet is not deep. Thats why I am gonna do the cheep MAACO job fer now and start on the major body work during the winters. One quarter at a time. Then I can take it back to MAACO and they can match the qtr. I do not want to get into to a "we can do it but we need it for.. " situation that puts me not driving her in the summers. I really need to keep her on the road in the summer as it is my relaxsation time when I drive her. When I am all done with the quarters I will get a primo paint job.
Walt

Soaring 07-18-2006 10:13 PM

Sounds like you have a plan Walt. A cheap Maaco paint job is better than no paint job at all. Take your time as money allows, and drive the hell out of it during the summer as that is what that vert was born to do. Top down and breeze in your hair. :D

skiprCH 07-18-2006 10:15 PM

Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Walt

earlymustang 07-18-2006 10:22 PM

Walt save yourself some money down the road and get the body right before any paint job even if it means waiting till next spring to drive it. I think it's crazy to paint it now, then replace the qtr. then try to match it up and paint again later. 2 steps forward one step back. just my 2 cents