Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How are you prepared for a Mustang flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Default How are you prepared for a Mustang flat tire?

Just wondering
Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
muggsy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How are you prepared for a Mustang flat tire?

I have a spare and NO JACK!!! Alot of good that does me. I don;t even know where to jack the car up on this thing. The original jack is all I have. Its a rusted old piece of dust. My old GMs used bumper jacks...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

It depends... If the plan for the day is within 50 miles of the house I run with no spare. I don't carry fix a flat because it makes a mess of the tire, and it pisses off the technician that has to fix it for you. I've got plenty of people that will bring me a spare if one of my friends that I'm running with doesn't have one to loan me.

If I'm going long range I load up the spare and ditch some of the creature comforts. If we are running with a pack, only one of us will carry a spare.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I still have the original scissors jack and handle stored in the driver's side hole of the trunk with the original masonite cover over it. I restored it several years back. But, I bought a modern hydraulic scissor jack a few years back, and it has a nice case that keeps it out of the way in the trunk. For a spare, I have the full-sized tire and original wheel stored where it is supposed to be. I restored that wheel several years ago too, so it looks like it is from the factory. The only other thing I usually carry in the trunk is a small tool box with basic tools. However, when I take her on long trips, I throw in a fresh water pump, alternator and belts and hoses.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

spare? I dont need no stinkin spare! +1 for the smoke signals
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
RES
1st Gear Member

Funny you ask that today of all days. I got to work and ran out to the stang about an hour into shift and saw I had a flat. I have a jack all of the tools I own in the trunk (so what I don't have a big snapon budget for a snapon tool chest) and no spare. I have to be up for the next 24 hours just so that I can get a new tire put on tommorrow.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:58 PM
GNISROH

I carry a full-size spare (just laying in the trunk) with a hydraulic bottle jack in the cool checkered duffle bag

I don't travel very far with the stang, and when I do, I carry as little as possible