Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

modernizing a classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 AM
fulksie

Default modernizing a classic

I wanted to first thank everyone for the help with my last post. I will try to get some more pics on here. I am now wondering if anyone is into putting a new 5.0 EFI into a classic 65? On that note, before you reply with a hell yes or hell no, has anyone thought about or already put twin turbos on a 5.0? I dont want offend any of the hardcore restorers, but I want more power with better MPG's. With the cost and wear a super charger puts on an engine, I think twin turbos are a great way to get a ton of power out of a great engine. Mustangs Plus offers a EFI conversion kit that bolts straight to the original 289 block. I'm really up in the air, so any input would be great. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: modernizing a classic

i dont know if the 5.0 motor would fit, it is a good idea and a fw on here have wanted or have done it, but i dont think im a pre 67 they did
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Lucafu1
1st Gear Member

yes its been done, 1000s of times. since the 289 and 302 are the same engine (different internals) its the same thing. in fact your can make your 289 EFI if you want. anyway on the turbo idea, yes that has been done also. ive seen twins in a 65/66 but the compartment was cramped and it took alot of work. im putting a single turbo in mine (88mm) and i made room by removing the strut towers and bought a heidts IFS kit. good luck, you really need to start researching. start SEARCHING stangnet for EFI swap info, alot there, and when you are done with that SEARCH turbomustangs.com if you still wanna do turbos. dont go there asking questions off the bat w/o searching cause youll either get ignored or flamed. Ive got 7.5 days logged on there in search time. there is alot of info.

check out this guys 65. nice work but i dont like the engine bay, to crowded for me. you either have to be good at fabrication or have deep pockets, well i mean deep deep pockets cause itll be expensive any way LOL.

http://home.inreach.com/ekyock/TT331FB_WEB/index.htm
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

i thought 302 and 351 were the same..., oh well, dowsnt really matter.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:21 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

a 351w is the same as a 302 but with a taller deck.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Lucafu1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

i thought 302 and 351 were the same..., oh well, dowsnt really matter.
sure it does
Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lucafu1

yes its been done, 1000s of times. since the 289 and 302 are the same engine (different internals) its the same thing. in fact your can make your 289 EFI if you want. anyway on the turbo idea, yes that has been done also. ive seen twins in a 65/66 but the compartment was cramped and it took alot of work. im putting a single turbo in mine (88mm) and i made room by removing the strut towers and bought a heidts IFS kit. good luck, you really need to start researching. start SEARCHING stangnet for EFI swap info, alot there, and when you are done with that SEARCH turbomustangs.com if you still wanna do turbos. dont go there asking questions off the bat w/o searching cause youll either get ignored or flamed. Ive got 7.5 days logged on there in search time. there is alot of info.

check out this guys 65. nice work but i dont like the engine bay, to crowded for me. you either have to be good at fabrication or have deep pockets, well i mean deep deep pockets cause itll be expensive any way LOL.

http://home.inreach.com/ekyock/TT331FB_WEB/index.htm

a 4.6L EFI block is physically bigger then a BB. i wasnt sure if a 5.0L EFI block would fit, a 302 would fit no doubt
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I know you mentioned the MP conversion kit, so here is the tech article for making the swap if you or anyone else is interested. Personally, I dont see the reason for an EFI swap, it seems like it complicates things.
Mustangs Plus EFI Conversion
Old 08-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

I know you mentioned the MP conversion kit, so here is the tech article for making the swap if you or anyone else is interested. Personally, I dont see the reason for an EFI swap, it seems like it complicates things.
Mustangs Plus EFI Conversion
Me too....I like playing with the carb to get it set just right. EFI just turns me off in a classic. However, it has been done a ton of times. I just don't get the reasoning though. If you want an EFI car, go get an EFI car, and leave the old classics alone.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 PM
grocery getter
1st Gear Member

most pro's will ask "what do you want to do with car?"

A twin turbo F.I. '65 isn't going to be plug and play or cheap either.

i'll guess at well over $10,000 for the set-up.

Quick Reply: modernizing a classic