Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I want to get a classic mustang and make it drift like the one in that movie

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:16 PM
drki

Default I want to get a classic mustang and make it drift like the one in that movie

Hey, glad I got your attention.

No, I don't have any intentions on drifitng a Mustang, but I do have some intentions on buying a classic one. I am leaning towards the 67-69 body style. Let me start off first saying that I am not new to Mustangs or cars... Just classic Mustangs. In fact I know very little about them. I have been searching, researching, reading and asking questions for the last week or so about them. Quite honestly, I don't know where to start. For example. I don't know jack about carbs. I was too young back then.

Could anyone point me to some good literature to start reading? Whether it be on the internet or at the bookstore. I have already picked up a book or two on them. Here are some questions that I want to ask though:

1. I plan on going with a 289 or a 302. I plan on getting a mustang that has already had the mustang rebuilt. Which motor will be able to make 350ish and up horsepower easily? I know the 289's cap out at around 400... But 350 easily attainable? Heads, cam, intake manifold, bigger carb, headers...

2. I know that blowers are really big on these cars. Any reason why? I would like to add one to mine in the future. Quite honestly, in my searches in the last few days I have not heard of one person doing this to a 289.

3. I would rebuild the entire suspension. Disk brakes, power steering, power brakes, shocks, springs, ect. ect. Are the 67-69's solid axle? I basically want a good all around car for "spirited" street driving. I have a lot of back roads around my area and would like to take advantage of them. I am more suspension oriented than go fast 1/4 mile. I think somewhere around 350hp, a light 2500 pound car and some good suspension will be a blast to drive. Any feedback on this approuch?

4. This will be my weeekend car. Which transmission to go with? Stay with the stock 3 or 4spd for the meantime or switch it out at first possible opritunity.

5. And lastly. Any insight on carbs? Electric vs. Manual choke? I've heard the the A/F mixtures change dramatically when the weather changes. True or false?

That should do it, but it wont be the first of my questions. Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I want to get a classic mustang and make it drift like the one in that movie

the body styles between 67-69 are very diffeent. as is the weight too. a 69 weighs alot more then a 67-68. are you looking for a coupe? convertible? or fastback?

1. theres someone on here that wil greatly dissagree with the 289 capping out at 400. that is not true. and the 289 and 302 are basically the exact same engine. all parts are interchangeable. either can make 350ish, but there are alot of stuff you will have to do.
2. you are thinking of a supercharger. never seen one on a non 351+ engine.
3. many people on here upgrade the suspension and rear end.
4. most people swap out a t-5 5-speed tranny from a fox body mustang. but that swap is quite expensive.
5. electric is easier. never heard about this weather change thing.

my 69 was born like this ^
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I want to get a classic mustang and make it drift like the one in that movie

Oh sure, Atom makes the '69 look good and gets lame pics of the other two [8D]. I haven't heard of the A/F mixture changing either but it would make sense since cold air is thinner than warm air. People will disagree on whether electric or manual is better but I decided to go manual and just stick with the choke.

289 and 302 have the same block.

Blowers aren't particularly popular on the 289/302's but a Paxton supercharger was available I think.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67Sally

Oh sure, Atom makes the '69 look good and gets lame pics of the other two [8D]. I haven't heard of the A/F mixture changing either but it would make sense since cold air is thinner than warm air. People will disagree on whether electric or manual is better but I decided to go manual and just stick with the choke.

289 and 302 have the same block.

Blowers aren't particularly popular on the 289/302's but a Paxton supercharger was available I think.
[&:]

67 - 68

Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM
drki

Opps, meant to say 67-68. I would get a coupe. I did a little research on it... there is a company or two that make blowers for them. I did see the paxton and it did get me mildly interested in it. I like to be different. ie. I drive a supercharged honda at the moment. Nobody does that haha. Anyhow, any other advice about mustangs? I will start my search in the near future. What to look for? What to look out for? ie. The rebuilt engines. Look for engines that have OEM or NOS parts as replacements or aftermarket?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

the body styles between 67-69 are very diffeent. as is the weight too. a 69 weighs alot more then a 67-68. are you looking for a coupe? convertible? or fastback?

1. theres someone on here that wil greatly dissagree with the 289 capping out at 400. that is not true. and the 289 and 302 are basically the exact same engine. all parts are interchangeable. either can make 350ish, but there are alot of stuff you will have to do.
2. you are thinking of a supercharger. never seen one on a non 351+ engine.
3. many people on here upgrade the suspension and rear end.
4. most people swap out a t-5 5-speed tranny from a fox body mustang. but that swap is quite expensive.
5. electric is easier. never heard about this weather change thing.

my 69 was born like this ^
We just did a 347 about a mouth ago with a super charger. It made 530 hp on the dyno with only 4lbs of boost. Not bad for a little 302 block.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
drki

Interesting. What year was the lightest year? And what is the general horsepower range people are getting out of the 289's with a 4spd? I'm talking about relatively hot cams, heads, ect. ect.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

lightest were 64-66

it all depends what you have on the car, just giving a number is to vague without knowing what is on it
Old 08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Check out some of Slickman's recent posts to see what you can get out of a 289.

Quick Reply: I want to get a classic mustang and make it drift like the one in that movie