Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our New 68 stang-Few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
purplepeopleeater

Default Our New 68 stang-Few ?'s

Well, Me and my wife are in to the classice air cooled vw scene so the ford mustang area is new to us.

My wife has wanted a stang since she was 16 and since i've gotten a few toys of my own she got hers.

It has a few bugs in it, breaks were replaced with warped drums, some shop welded wieghts on them to "help" so we'll be replacing them (maybe a junkyard disc swap?)

And the motor needs some work, the carb is junk and i have some smoke coming out of the oil filler hole and i'm assuming i have a bad valve?, I would rather just replace the whole head then rebuild stock 289 ones....Or i can get a crate motor 302 or 289 for 1200ea with 7yr/100k warr

here are some pictures

Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Our New 68 stang-Few ?'s

ok, before going the junk yard route, there are disc convertions out there for under $750....how much do you want to spend? Also, what do you want this car for? is it a cruiser? do you want to run it at the drags or put it out on the road course?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
purplepeopleeater

its a daily cruiser with decent mpg....yet still get a little wheel spin

for brakes, i'd like to keep it aorund 500 but you know how that goes.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I think you are looking to do the classic Granada brake swap. You can make the disc brakes from a Granada fit on a Mustang (or so I've heard). This is on my list of projects for my 68 Mustang. Classic Services Restoration Parts produces a kit with new and refurbished parts that are basically copies of the Granada disc brakes for $545. This is the cheapest price that I've seen. I've seen other disc brake conversion kits ranging in price from $800 to $1,100. Of course, you could look in the local junk yards for the necessary Granada parts . You will need 15" rims instead of the stock 14" Mustang rims for the Granada disc brakes to fit, though. the CSRP site says that 14" Magnum 500 rims will fit. Try doing an on-line search for Granada disc swap or something similar and you should be able to get complete information about it, including directions on what you need and how to do the swap if you go the junk yard route. Good luck and let us know how it turns out; I know that I'm interested, as it's on my project list. By the way, I'm new to Mustangs also, and recently got a 68 Coupe for my wife who has always wanted a classic Mustang.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You can get this kit for somewhere in that ballpark.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
Old 10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
purplepeopleeater

oooo, not a bad price.

Now, If i had a detailed parts list and what year they came off of...I bet you my hens teeth that i could source a kit myself at my local parts store
Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

i drive my 65 stang as a DD. I recommend SSBC disc brakes all around. Very good stopping power (bang for the buck!) however its not the cheapest way. Depending on what you want to do with teh car what you do with the motor is more of a personal decision. I would drop a crate motor in it (slightly built so you can have some nice power) and keep the old motor for originality purpouses if you are ever going to sell it. Nice lookin car, congratulations!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
428coupe
2nd Gear Member

Look in the FAQ section of this forum to locate a parts list for the Grananda swap, also you may want to do a compression test on the engine before assuming it is a bad valve. It may be worn piston rings causing blow-by into the crankcase and ventine through the oil filler cap.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
purplepeopleeater

Yeah, I think right now i'm going to do the grandana swap....looks pretty clean and replacement parts are easy to find!

This outfit is local for me and i think i'm going to pickup one of these motors....I think for 1,180 its not worth doing the work myself (stock)
http://www.hiperformer.com/featured_...for_302lb.html
Old 11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

I just got a 68 too and investigating the granada swap too, but I can't find Classic Services Restoration Parts anywhere. I googled it and it brought me HERE!! Someone else also sent me a link...

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf

This had all the directions etc and good info but no retail info. Where do I buy it???