MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   welders??????? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/196933-welders.html)

rigwelder 10-24-2006 09:56 AM

RE: welders???????

if your not going to be welding daily, just get a little 110 v wire feed and use flux-core wire. then theres no gas needed. i spend 10k a year on a deisel lincoln welder (TAX WRITEOFF). i prefer lincoln when your going to work the sh???t out of it. but as far as a wire feed goes, find one with easy for you to understand settings and a good heavy whip (LEAD). lincoln,miller,esab,hobard,thermal dianamics are soon of the better known brands. but if your going to use it sparingly the brand really wouldnt matter if its not junk to begin with!

67Stang68 10-24-2006 02:54 PM

I bought a lincoln sp-135 120v it can be used gas or gasless Im very happy with it. And
much like every other tool be it a compressor or HVLP paint gun spend a little bit
more up front and it will last longer and the results that the tool produces will be more
appealing. One last note on Mig welders look for one that has a infinite power level
switch not one with Power level A,B,C,D it makes fine tuning the welder to your work
easier

bradleyb 10-24-2006 04:05 PM

Only 1 person that has used the chicago electric then. Its sounding like I should just shuck out a few extra nickels and go with Lincoln. My grandfather had a gas operating lincoln arc welder from hell that we used to build arenas for our cutting horses and that thing went forever. My son wants to use the welder too and I could use it for tons of projects so probably better to spend a couple hundred extra and get something that will work forever

thanks guys

Scott H. 10-24-2006 10:22 PM

To quote a wise old man..."only the rich can afford to buy cheap".
If I could throw out another name. Hobart makes (or should I say puts their name on) some quality welders. I had a Lincoln Bobcat 220 and two years later the Hobart equivalent. Both were exceptional for stick welders/generators. I'm using a Hobart 220V Mig welder (thanks to my gracious neighbor) now that works really well. Unless the metal is very clean of paint, oil, etc. Flux core is your best choice. Make sure you can run at least 0.025"-0.035" wire.
Keep the tip of the wire out of the gun one inch at all times during the weld, and stay out of the wind. Follow that advice and the spatter diminishes to almost nothing. Also some good anti spatter dip will really increase tip life.

Good luck,

Soaring 10-25-2006 12:30 AM

When my daddy came back from Germany after serving over there during WWII, the government sent him to welding school, and bought him a Lincoln welder. I inherited that Lincoln welder, and still have it at the farm. It still works just great. I also have a Lincoln mig welder here at my house, and would not consider any other brand. They are built "Ford" tough. :D

shr 10-25-2006 12:44 AM

i got my lincoln sp 135 120V for approx 375.00 at the home depot, it does mig or flux and it works great! it will weld almost any body panel you can throw at it, and being 120 if you move it will work where ever you go, were as 220 will be hit or miss.

deebo68 10-25-2006 12:50 AM

I use a Hobart 135, gas & flux, works great, bought it off eBay for a good price. Perfect for car applications, the only reason to go with more amperage is if you’re going to weld thick metal, over 1/2 inch.

Just make sure you get one that lets you use gas, that way you have options.

The other important piece is a good mask, the auto darkening masks are great, and Hobart has a good one for about $100, worth the money to save your eyes. Don't try the close your eyes trick, you're still burning your retina, you need a mask. And don't for get gloves; the pretty red glow is hot.

Remember, you get what you pay for!

bradleyb 10-25-2006 03:04 AM

I think it is a run to Home Depot and going Lincoln - my brother is still using my grandpa's (so I can feel ya soaring)!!!!!!!!! And I definitely think that the 120 with gas capability is the ticket.

Definitely going with the auto darken mask - I saw those hand hold things and I just can't see doing that - I have never seen anyone use those things until I saw the adverts for welding packages

bradleyb 10-25-2006 03:06 AM

interesting note about the 1" distance Scot, I will start keeping the tip a bit farther out, thanks

drhink 11-02-2006 04:36 AM

The Hobart "Handler" migs are sweet for sheetmetal. My experience with Harbor Freight's electric tools is they last about as long as their warranty period.