Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is there a paint website for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default Is there a paint website for cars?

Just woundering if there is a website that will help indecisive car painters with picking out the right paint for there project,

[IMG]local://upfiles/43944/2D7A2DBB98EF40799CB02662257E9CDA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a paint website for cars?

Try this site

http://www.classicmustang.com/colors...int_colors.htm
Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 AM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a paint website for cars?

ORIGINAL: green_blurr
Just woundering if there is a website that will help indecisive car painters with picking out the right paint for there project,
Are you considering painting your car yourself or do you just want to find out about what's out there? If you are considering painting it yourself, then the book "How to Paint Your Car" by David H. Jacobs Jr. is a good starting point for research. There's a lot of info to wade through... etching primers, epoxy primers, primer/surfacers, primer/sealers... and that's before you even get to color and / or clear coats. If you are paying someone to paint your car, then by all means base coat / clear coat will be far more durable than any single-stage paint (single-stage = no clearcoat, single-stage paints use a hardening agent similar to clear coat). But if you are painting the car yourself and want to do base / clear, you better look into your local codes first. The hardener in clear coat (isocyanate) is extremely nasty stuff, you are really supposed to wear a supplied-air system when spraying that stuff, and if someone walking down the street by your garage has a nasty reaction to it, you could be in some deep trouble. Single-stage paints (at least the stuff I used) use isocyanate as a hardener, but they use far less than what is used in clear... something like 13% by volume for the single-stage vs. 70% by volume for clear for the Martin-Senour stuff.

Now if you live in BFE then I won't tell on you. Seriously, the book is very good but there's a lot to research if you want to paint the car yourself. I painted my car with the Martin-Senour stuff from NAPA since they are local and the main paint guy at my shop was very knowledgeable. If your car is an evolving project, as my 72 was, then start with an etching primer and then a 2-part epoxy primer. The epoxy primers are waterproof, and I drove my car around for a year and a half with the back half in primer. Just scuff / sand it down some and spray fresh primer over the old when it is time to paint for real. That was nearly 4 years ago total and no problems at all with rust or paint adhesion. Even with epoxy primer I never drove the car in rain anyway, just to be on the safe side. The 72 was a project car not a daily driver so I had this luxury.