Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

looking for a classic muscle sound...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

Default RE: looking for a classic muscle sound...

yea someone told me to get x pipes but after hearing them i think i want a louder more classic sound or even like the new 05 cobras they sound sick. i want sumthing that sounds like that.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan66

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

I want Flowmasters!!!!!
I just don't understand the obsession with Flowmasters. It's been proven time and time again (in automotive mags and TV shows) that they don't flow as freely as other mufflers. Is it just the name that turns all of you on? Being able to say "I run Flows" on your car? Don't forget: having to have a specific name brand just because everyone else does is the first rule of the ricers. But getting the best performing part is what the muscle cars are about.

I would suggest that some of you check into Dynamax mufflers instead. As much as twice the flow as Flowmasters; lower price; and a great muscle car sound to boot. Glen is sold on the Raven (Midas) brand. It too flows much better than Flowmaster.

If sound is more important to you than performance, then go with the Flows...
magnaflows....how come im the only one who likes them??????
Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

IMHO leave the flowmasters to the 5.0 and 4.6 crowd. it sounds all tinny like an old AM speaker in a 65 galaxy. ick. If you want the old time muscle car sound, you need a 2.5" pipe, a 3" will be a bit louder and isnt needed unless you have a built 351W, 4V Cleveland, or something bigger liek an FE etc.. if you want something that cackles and pops, go with a 2" pipe and put cherry bombs/glasspacks that are straight through on it and it will cackle like an old F150 everytime you downshift.

If you want the full race sound without the extreme noise, you need 3"-3.5" pipe with dynomax mufflers and a tail pipes that are either the same size or no smaller than 2.5".

Tail pipes are the key to it not being loud inside the car, if the sound comes from behind the bumper, you wont get the buz and drone inside the car. If you put them out to the side, it will be louder infront of the wheel than behind it, but still not as reasonable as straight out the back. Dumping it under the car before the rear axle will give you nose, vibration, and harmonics at different speeds/rpms that will be difficult at best to have a conversation over.

I have an LS1 car with the complete Hooker supercomp exhaust on it, and it sounds alot meaner than any 5.0 with flowmasters ever will, and its quite nice at highway speeds. yet you romp on that sucker in town and EVERYONE turns to look. The street toy has dynomax 3.5" bullets on 18" extensions. You can barely hear yourself think in there, but its not a harsh as open headers. Little old ladies gave me foul looks even after they rolled up the window, turned up the radio and they still couldnt hear barry manilow over my car idling next to them at a stoplight. That isnt the best setup for the street..lol but it works great on the track.

Another street car of mine has 3" all the way out the back, and its pleasant to drive down the highway or around town. Pretty sure it has magnaflows or dynomax under it, I didnt put them under there but I can make videos of all but the toy for you.

the GTO has the best sound, and gets the most compiments from people. it has a cammed 455 with cheap summit headers, connected to 4' sections of 3" pipe with cheap $19 summit 3" mufflers.. thats it. And people drool over the idle and sound of it, its rough but not choppy, has a nice bass tone to it but isnt at all overpowering. right now a header is screwed up on it, I backed up over the lip in the concrete and bent it. the GTO sits waaaaay low. Otherwise I would make a video of that for you, it rocks and burnouts are very impressive with it..
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
ChaseFuller

flowmaster with 40 series muffler is about as loud as it gets lol so if u dont want really loud i wouldnt go that way.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I have a pair of magnaflows waiting to go on my car now. They also have a straight through design.
ORIGINAL: atomsk680

ORIGINAL: Dan66

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

I want Flowmasters!!!!!
I just don't understand the obsession with Flowmasters. It's been proven time and time again (in automotive mags and TV shows) that they don't flow as freely as other mufflers. Is it just the name that turns all of you on? Being able to say "I run Flows" on your car? Don't forget: having to have a specific name brand just because everyone else does is the first rule of the ricers. But getting the best performing part is what the muscle cars are about.

I would suggest that some of you check into Dynamax mufflers instead. As much as twice the flow as Flowmasters; lower price; and a great muscle car sound to boot. Glen is sold on the Raven (Midas) brand. It too flows much better than Flowmaster.

If sound is more important to you than performance, then go with the Flows...
magnaflows....how come im the only one who likes them??????
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i want single chamber flows or the shelby side exhaust? idk yet but i got some 40 series flows sitting uder the house for free so i might end up using those?[&:]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

i want single chamber flows or the shelby side exhaust? idk yet but i got some 40 series flows sitting uder the house for free so i might end up using those?[&:]
i would use flow if i got them for that price
Old 10-27-2006, 08:04 PM
n8rfastback
1st Gear Member

i got the flowmaster 40's and i like them a lot. they are decent when your just cruising and when you romp on it they will scream!!! they do have a good throaty sound to them i think
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

i want single chamber flows or the shelby side exhaust?
idk yet but i got some 40 series flows sitting uder the house for free so i might end up using those?
Are you asking questions?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:42 PM
n8rfastback
1st Gear Member

i would say give the free 40's a try and if you dont like them then get something diff

Quick Reply: looking for a classic muscle sound...