Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 AM
heavensonfire

Default Disc Brake Kits

So I'm trying to decide what the best way to do my brakes are on my 68 coupe. Currently the car has four manual disc brakes. I still plan on redoing everything to the car, but I think brakes and suspension are the best place to start. I looked at the Granada swap, but the more I looked at it the more unsure I was. I think I have decided to order the conversion kits because I'm sure the way I am I'd end up with a Granada I don't need sitting in the backyard to restore. So the goal is to get power four disc brakes I believe. I have considered just power brakes with disc on front, but haven't decided. Some of the kits I've found have said you can use your original spindles. I just was wondering what suggestions anyone might have on this. Another issue was that a few kits were saying that you would have to go up to a size 17" wheel. Personally, I'd rather not but I will if I have to. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Disc Brake Kits

www.ssbrakes.com they have factory style setups or extremekits like im running
Old 11-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Really depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish. You don't need 13" rotors, or even rear disc unless you plan on doing some serious road course work. Baer has some really nice and complete kits that are easier to install. The '68 has good spindles so that isn't a problem.
Then it's just a matter of adding a power booster with a correct master cylinder, which again is easy on a '68. One of the things I notice on all these "junk yard specials" kits, is that people are not properly accounting for the requirement of the correct master cylinder. It's kind of like Tiger woods without a caddy. Yeah, it will work, but it ain't gonna be a winner.
Unless you are exceptionally knowledgeable on brakes, or are willing to spend the time to become properly educated, I'd suggest staying with one of the main line vendors and getting a complete kit that serves your needs. I'm partial to Bear in this case, as their stuff seems pretty much "plug and play", while using top level components.

Good luck,
Old 11-02-2006, 03:36 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i was gonna go baer but they were on back order for something like 12 weeks[&:] so i got my front and rears from ssbc went together very easily and quick
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 AM
heavensonfire

I was looking at the Baer kit earlier and almost went ahead and ordered it, but wanted to look around a bit more. This is the first big purchase I'm going to make on the car, and I don't want to regret it. The local store in town...I've had nothing but problems with so finally got lucky enough to find this forum. Has anyone used the Baer kit or have any suggestions. Thanks for the link. Its given me some more performance options I was looking for. As far as my goal for the car I'd like to be able to take the car to the strip occasionally and be able to stop. The local one is 1/8 and then another 1/8 to stop or your in a lake....so I haven't been yet even though 1/8 should be plenty enough to stop...I don't like swimming.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 AM
heavensonfire

This kit seems like a winner at least for the front. Wanted to see if there might be problems I've overlooked.

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/det...tang&year=1968
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I put a Granada swap on mine from the Junkyard with all new parts for about $300 dollars. I went manual still and it stops very good. I think it stops very good and a heck of a lot cheaper than those kits. I don't see that power brakes are really needed because all they do it amplify the pressure that you put on the pedal so as long as you've got a good leg, thats just more money too.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

oh yeah if u go with ssbc they are free shipping from jeg and they price match i found the cheapest place to be www.paddockparts.com i got the part number and the price called jegs up and got it shipped for free and at the paddocks cheaper prices i paid 1400.00$ for my 13 inch brake kit and n.p.d. wanted something like 1800$[:'(] it literally pays to shop around big time
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Keep in mind that no matter which kit you get, you will need at least 15" wheels if you don't already have them. This kit is the best bang for the buck. All new parts, and everything you need to make the swap for less than $500.00
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
Old 11-02-2006, 02:32 PM
hammerit
1st Gear Member

Looks like a nice kit and a great price. Did you use this kit? Can you use a booster with it?

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Kits