Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 05:18 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?

Are there any crash test results out there for the classic mustang or any statistics or any indication of how safe it is?
Old 11-24-2006, 05:38 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?

just call it death above 40mph no crumple zone, non-collaspable steering column, no airbags, no 3 point belts.......
Old 11-24-2006, 05:51 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Land Rover defender doesnt have crumple zone, non-collaspable steering column, airbags or 3 point belts, yet according to statistics in the UK it is the safest car since its passangers have only died or suffered serious injury in 1% of its crashes

This is because the car has a very strong chassis and is high up. see http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22749-2401789,00.html for more info

So I was hoping the Mustang had a very strong chassis, maybe if there havent been any tests or statistics, has anyone got pictures of crashed Mustangs?

If it does have a weak chassis, then it may be worht re-enforcing somehow to add strength.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

yeah u might be able to reinforce something but still....its not going to do a ton of good....but it could help....u could figure out what to reinforce and stuff.........

my 1968 coupe has a collapsible steering column, will eventually have 3 point seat belts, and came stock with a pad on the steering wheel......still though....if u get hit in the wrong way.....its not going to be the same as getting hit in say an Expedition or something....
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 AM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

i was hit in the side while going 35, she just polled in front of me like i wasn't there. i have a 3 point belt and it keep me in the seat just fine.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

if you get hit the wrong way, expect the worse. []
Old 11-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Less safe than the worst modern car, at least the worst one sold in the US.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:27 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Come on people....a classic Mustang is an old car.....old cars arent' safe with today's driving habits. Thats just all there is to it.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:48 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Nobody was crash testing untill the mid to late 70s, so finding a crash test of a Mustang is going to have been a real world crash... as in not a test.

Yes they are built heavier than most modern cars, a 50s - 60s car will knife though an Accord just like it was a hot knife and the Accord is butter. Yes the Mustang is small, but they can take a hit okay. it depends on velocity and what you hit. If you are going 200Kph and hit a concrete bridge, you are not going to feel a thing.. Just walk to the bright light and say hello to the anscestors.

While driving a 56 Buick Special I would occasionally find a Honda Civic stuck in the fenderwell after I got home.. ah the good ole days.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 PM
66 stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Nobody was crash testing untill the mid to late 70s, so finding a crash test of a Mustang is going to have been a real world crash... as in not a test.

Yes they are built heavier than most modern cars, a 50s - 60s car will knife though an Accord just like it was a hot knife and the Accord is butter. Yes the Mustang is small, but they can take a hit okay. it depends on velocity and what you hit. If you are going 200Kph and hit a concrete bridge, you are not going to feel a thing.. Just walk to the bright light and say hello to the anscestors.

While driving a 56 Buick Special I would occasionally find a Honda Civic stuck in the fenderwell after I got home.. ah the good ole days.

seriously, if your car outweighs the other by several hundred pounds, you will win.......

Quick Reply: Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?