Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Repair done - assembly starts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Repair done - assembly starts.

On the final stages of repair and entering first stages of assembly.

We finished painting today, finaly. We had to switch positions of vehicles so that we could get mine in the shop and heat it long enough for the paint to dry. We'll have a good 24 hrs of curing and I can remove the prep stuff.

I ran into a snag, go figure. I test fitted the stereo so that I could figure out if there was any reason I could not fill in the line on the dash that had a step down with filler. ( which I did end up filling in. it's a very clean line all the way down the dash ) As I was removing the dash pad, one of the friggin studs pulled out of the foam. This is an original Ford tooled dash pad and after I inspected all of the studs, I found them all to be poorly done. They're just barely below the surface and any wrong tweaking will pull them from the pad. I'm anxious to see how they fair when I go to tighten them to the dash.

I'll be a little pissy if I end up pulling them all from the pad. ( I did call NPD the instant this happen. I wanted to be sure I could attempt to repair the pad and still be able to return it if it failed. I repaired the stud with JB weld, believe it or not. I thought the foam would be too porus (sp) but it worked perfect)

Car goes to the stereo shop for install Monday. I could probably do it with minimal fubars, however, I have some errands that can not be put off any longer. So, I'll just farm that part out.

If everything stays course, i'll be driving Wed.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:30 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Repair done - assembly starts.

If your going to talk repairs we gotta have pics!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

If your going to talk repairs we gotta have pics!
When you're busting your tail, fighting what little window of opportunity you have to work because of the weather, taking pics is the last thing on my mind. I was so frustrated after the stud pulled from the padding that I just about stopped there, but I had to keep pushing. I'm on my friends time basicaly. Without him, none of this would be possible.

I'll try to get some pics before we start assembling monday morning. We're taking today off to rest. It's been a very busy 6 days. Not only that, I'm in need of some brownie point time with the wife. I better act like I'm interested in this christmas stuff that's happening
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I completely understand the "honey-do" stuff. I was working to get my heater motor running, and the wife asked me to help her with some Christmas decorating stuff. Well, it turned out that I had to put the lights up around the eaves of the house which took the rest of the day to accomplish. Ya' gotta love 'em.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

haha - I got out easy today. We've family visiting this coming week and she wants the house / property in shape. I just quietly noted how the property was covered in fallen tree / debris and how all the trees have shed, etc. That got me on the tractor for the day while she and the daughter do their final shopping.

woooohooo!! no friggin shopping for me!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I quit with the shopping thing with my wife years ago. I can't think of a worse torture than shopping with the wife.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I quit with the shopping thing with my wife years ago. I can't think of a worse torture than shopping with the wife.

x2 to the eleventybillionth power. Underwear or shoe shopping with females has got to be the worst. Currently the female I am with doesnt shop like a female, she shops like I do. Go in, get what you need, get outa there. none of that female need to touch every piece of fabric on every rack, shelf and unattended space.

Speakin of good weather.. i have some now, so no more posting from me till its dark..
Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

10 years later and my wife still thinks this time of year is time for family to get closer. I tell her we are close - she lets me spend time on the Mustang, I let her go shopping, how much closer can you get? <grin>

Kinda pumped about this week. It should be all fun stuff from here on out. All but having to deal with the stupid seat cover not being right and if the dash pad pisses me off. Other than that I should be grinning so wide I slober in my ear!

I'll actually drive the car to the stereo shop! I'm hoping they can get it done before dark so I can get it back to the shop. That way there's no time wasted Tuesday and I can get right on assembling the rest of it. If so, that means completed by Tues. I'll just keep my date of Wed, that way, if they do take longer I am not dissapointed.

An ywho - I'll try to grab some pics in the morning. We have all the prep stuff to get out of the way so I can take it to have the sound system installed.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Underwear or shoe shopping with females has got to be the worst.
I have to strongly disagree with the Underwear part.......
Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

I haven't touched the Stang in a couple weeks. I have my daughter's first birthday this coming weekend and then Christmas the following. A double wammy!
Fortunatly for me my wife loves to shop...............without me! She says I don't have enough patience. Which is true. But I am lining up all the stuff for the babie's party. So that is my task. All worth it though. The car isn't going anywhere! Besides, I am waiting for my cowls and spot weld drill bits to come in. Then it's on!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Repair done - assembly starts.