Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Almost bought the farm today

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Almost bought the farm today

Imagine that - on a back road and you still get folks acting retarded. Glad you and the car are ok.

That said, I too still have disc brakes and they've been in simular situations as you were in and did great.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

Check your lower controls arm.

I had a similar 'incident' on my driveway one weekend....and now my lower control arms are off the bushing
Not sure I understand that statement. Please explain why an indident on your driveway has anything to do with a near miss 60 MPH accident.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

And let me guess, she said "I didnt see you".. well maybe she should LOOK next time. That happens to me constantly here, I just expect it, at least traffic isnt as bad as Charleston, up here you can change lanes, down there you are just screwed.

Good to hear you didnt customize the front end on some silly brain donors tailgate.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

I'd rather go in a '65 Mustang than a hospital bed...but still glad to see the brains of the classic section is in good health....now have yourself a Genny Red Eye and relax.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

hey thumpin445, where do you live, are you talkink about charleston SC?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Soaring, better make sure she gets that dent fixed the ditch did to your quarter panel
Old 12-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Your best stopping will happen when the tires are on the verge of locking up, but not actually locked up. Disc brakes are much easier to modulate on the edge.

I went from stock drums to front stock discs and the difference is night and day. I have no hope of locking up the front wheels (thems some sticky tires), and have a valve to regulate the rears so they just start squealing with max pressure on the pedal (should be about 600 lbs of force based on my weight lifting experience).

The difference: The front discs will put you through the windshield. The drums lost grip after dropping 40mph (under 40, they were great, at 70 they were scary).
ORIGINAL: Soaring

I was on my way to town on a Farm to Market road going about 60 MPH, and a woman in an SUV pulled right in front of me. She was making a left hand turn. I slammed Ol' Yeller's brakes on and she barked back with a loud screech and all four wheels locked up. I could see that I would T-Bone her if I stayed on the brakes, so I hit the ditch. I got stopped and got back on the road after I had a few not so kind words with the woman. I tell ya' you just never know when an idiot is gonna screw up and put your life in danger, not to mention our precious cars. However, all this talk about disc brakes, and my drum brakes did just as well. All four brakes locked up and laid rubber. I couldn't have asked any more from Yeller than that. I need a beer!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

[sm=jawdrop.gif] Im glad to hear that you're ok....
when i took an auto body class at my college....there was this guy restoring a 65 fastback......then he told me about his other mustang.....a 65 fastback that took him 10 years to fully restore and never drove it until finshed paint and all.....

then a lady ran a red light.....totaled the car

its just nice to know that all that work you did fixing and maintaing Ol ' Yeller paid off. Damm Women drivers......unless she's a Mustang driver....then they are ok
Old 12-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

I'm working on it. 3 point seat belts are going in real soon.
There goes your classic look out the door.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm glad you came out ok my man.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

if ya going to get 3 point and ruin the look.....get the disc brakes too.....then next you wont end up in the ditch, lol.

you can stop get out of the car, then go slap the driver, get back in car and leave lol
ORIGINAL: Galactusz

I'm working on it. 3 point seat belts are going in real soon.
There goes your classic look out the door.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm glad you came out ok my man.

Quick Reply: Almost bought the farm today