Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

i forgot what a complete engine looks like!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:54 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: i forgot what a complete engine looks like!

make sure its not hittin on the header grounding out like mine[&:] what kinda starter problems u having?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

hey man, nice progress, i cant wait. what are you planning on exhaust wise?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

make sure its not hittin on the header grounding out like mine[&:] what kinda starter problems u having?

Well at first the problem was the starter relay, replaced that today, and now it makes clicking noises when the key is turned. However the starter won't turn over (this is a rebuilt/new starter on a rebuilt engine that hasn't even been started yet). So I took the starter off and took it to Kragen to get it tested. It works, however it doesn't sound good....compared to a new starter they tested for comparison.

So now that we know the starter works it might be a grounding issue. I have the battery lead grounding to the block, but my dad and I are thinking we should attach it to the starter bolt. If this doesn't work, I'm going to take the starter back and have them replace it and hope for the best!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:19 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

sound like a dead battery
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

sound like a dead battery
You'd think so haw. Well I tried that, it's fully charged, and I set the charger to the 100 amp "engine start" mode. My dad has started his truck many times like that, so that would have definitely done the trick. So therefore it can't be something as simple as a battery
Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

sometimes it still wont work take it to the parts house for a free test they usually have an hour or 2 wait on getting the results

ive had cars that wouldnt jump off with a car or a charger set on the high setting
Old 12-20-2006, 02:58 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

sometimes it still wont work take it to the parts house for a free test they usually have an hour or 2 wait on getting the results

ive had cars that wouldnt jump off with a car or a charger set on the high setting
Oh I see. Ok well if changing the ground doesn't solve my issue then I will take a battery out of a working car and try it Then if it still doesn't work....hmmm

Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you don't have a ground strap between your engine and chassis. Without it, you will have all kinds of electrical gremlins...just like the ones you're experiencing.
ORIGINAL: 4reboy

Oh I see. Ok well if changing the ground doesn't solve my issue then I will take a battery out of a working car and try it Then if it still doesn't work....hmmm

Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

X2 on the ground strap to the chassis. On my '85, the bolt came loose on the body and chasing that down was an absolute nightmare. As for the starter, stay away from that remanufactured Kragen junk. BTDT. It truly is a game of chance when you go that route. I'd spend the extra money on a new, quality starter. Also, just to rule out your battery, you could make sure the terminals are real clean and make good contact. Also, instead of the 100-amp start, try jumper cables from another vehicle.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:31 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

thread jackers! but its fine

thumpin, sorry, but i LOVE these valve covers. i originally wanted some that said