Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

2 questions: No heat and Cowl leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 AM
ClaptonFan

Default 2 questions: No heat and Cowl leak

I'm planning to get 2 projects done in the next few weeks before it starts to get cold. The first is to get the heat in my 65 working properly. I've got everything I need to get this done, but I managed to run into one little problem right away. The glove compartment. I can't figure out how to get it out. I took out the screws and removed the door. The compartment slides around freely, but I can't find a way to actually remove it completely. Any advice would be welcome.

The second project is to repair the cowl leak. I got the "deluxe cowl repair kit" from mustangs unlimited, and hopefully i'll be able to follow the instructions well enough to get it all sorted out, but I don't know how to remove the inner fender. This is probably obvious to all of you, but i'm just not that good at this stuff yet. The manual that i have doesn't seem to mention that the inner fender exists, so needless to say it doesn't have instructions on how to remove it. Ruining the paint is also a very big concern here, so if any of you have any advice, i'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:32 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 questions: No heat and Cowl leak

Cardboard glovebox right? Yeah, pain in the butt. In my old 64.5 I had to take the heater core box apart and **** it down to slide the glove box in. The heater core box is a pain in itself...you'll never believe how many clips there are holding that thing together and the grief you'll endure putting it back together.

The cowl repair I'm not sure of. Memory tells me the only way to get at the cowl to do a true repair involves cutting and welding. That's the reason most folks won't buy a car with a cowl leak. It's a MAJOR pain in the butt to fix.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Goose

Not sure about the inner fender... I think if you look inside the wheel well toward the rear of the car, you will see a panel with a rubber flap that touches the inside of the fender. This is designed to keep water from going all the way back to your door hinges when driving in the rain. Not sure how removing the inner fender would help with a cowl vent leak though. I think all you need to do is remove the bolts holding the fan motor (in the engine compartment), lower the heater box out of the way, clean and paint the vent "hat" that the heater gets air from, glue your patch in place, and reinstall your heater box.

My 64.5 has a minor cowl vent leak so I decided to fix it right since I am starting a many year / many phase restore. I have removed the front windshield, both front fenders, hood, and used a dremel tool with carbide bit to grind out all the spot welds holding the cowl vent cover on. I just finished removing it from the car last night. Upon inspection, it looks like I may not have had a cowl vent leak but rather a windsheild leak that was traveling down the screw hole used to hold the chrome trim hold down clips in place.

Oh well, the damage is now done. I guess I will clean it all up (surface rust starting), apply a coat of 50 year urethane around both vents, paint it all with epoxy primer and paint, and weld it all back together.

All this to say, make double sure where your leak is coming from before you start hacking on the cowl. It may be something simple.

Best of luck!

Aaron
Old 10-16-2004, 07:28 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

I believe you have what we call the "plastic hats". You have to go from under the dash to install them. To get the glovebox out, there are 2 ways: Take the heater box out and lower the glove box down(you have to lower the heater box to install the "hats"anyway) or destroy the box by pulling it through the door opening.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

I want to say that I have 2 books on how to fix the cowls and there is 2 defernt ways. If you wana wait to tomorrow ClaptanFan I can send up a post to you on how to do it and see if you can totally avoding doing any cutting. All my books and parts are all together right next to my 67 and the shop is all closed down for the night. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you buddy!