Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best place to mount a 3 point seat belt.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best place to mount a 3 point seat belt.

I can see in the pictures where the roof mount doesnt appear to sit too high when your sitting in the normal driving postion (a little close to the neck, but none the less not on it). And this of course having mostly to do with the height of the driver. But do take this into consideration. Whenever you hit something your body will lean forward (I would know[&:]). When you lean forward the height of your neck and head will be lower, there by placing the shoulder belt on your neck...and that ain't gonna feel good.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best place to mount a 3 point seat belt.

ORIGINAL: plainsmen

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

ORIGINAL: Guitylerham

Can't you get some seatbelts with an extender for the roof mounting point that actually lowers the seat belt? I guess they're called "sash guides" and they're just a padded metal arm that bolts to the roof and pivots, then the sash goes through a loop that is on the other end of the arm. They could effectively lower it like maybe half a foot or so. I bet that'd take care of the decapitating problem...
sashs guides or "droploops" I have beenpromising photos,but it has been so damn hot here every weekend I just havent got to the shed.They work well and look better than the straight roof mount, but the install procedure is identical.

just another consideration though...if you get in a crash where the seatbelt is likely to cause you harm, chances are your neck will break anyway as our early model seats dont have high backs.
This one?
http://www.wescoperformance.com/lg-s...t-install.html

or this one? Looks like their used on Buses and Cargo vans that the mount attaches above the window..
Actually... just like ours. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...eat-belts.html

YES, very similar to these, but mine dont look quite so bus like with the plastic bits!
I will hopefully get the pics tonight (SWMBO had to delete some of her crap off the digital cam before i had some space!!) and post tomorrow.