Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine stalls - intermittent

Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Mach1972

Default Engine stalls - intermittent

I have a 1972 Mach 1 (351C/FMX). I was driving around town a couple weeks ago and out of the blue, my engine dies. It restarted easily and the died again upon acceleration. I limped it home after many restarts and began to try to diagnose. Since then, my mechanic friend and I have tried to find the problem. It will run fine for a mile test drive without even a hiccup, next time I can't even get it out my driveway. It idles fine. Since it is intermittent, it's been impossible to pinpoint the problem. We have done the following so far:

Changed pertronix back to points

New ignition switch (discovered old one had some melted wires)

Went through and reapaired all wiring in engine and dash wiring harness

No water in fuel although at one point the gas looked a dark gold color in the glass fuel filter instead of the light yellow

Meter tested all electronics including coil

New points, condenser, plugs, cap, rotor, wires

All (stock) accessories work fine

Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED
(I'm losing sleep over this one) THANKS!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine stalls - intermittent

Seems like the problem of the week in this forum has been carb issues. If I were to guess, possible rust build up in gas tank which got into the carb causing intermittent blockage. Do you have the original gas tank and sending unit? Fuel line might be a little dirty as well....check the carb and rebuild...keep us posted on your progress...

Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Mach1972

My mechanic took the top of the carb off (Carter 625 AFB) and found a small amount of residue in the bottom of thebowl(s), somewhat grainy, but VERY fine in texture. It had a blueish/green tint to it. What could THIS be? Could it be the cause?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

How about a clogged fuel filter? When was the last time you changed it?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Mach1972

Brand new fuel filter...see thru glass type. Completely clean.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Mach1972

What would be the best way to determine ifthis problem is electrical or fuel related? Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mach1972

I have a 1972 Mach 1 (351C/FMX). I was driving around town a couple weeks ago and out of the blue, my engine dies. It restarted easily and the died again upon acceleration. I limped it home after many restarts and began to try to diagnose. Since then, my mechanic friend and I have tried to find the problem. It will run fine for a mile test drive without even a hiccup, next time I can't even get it out my driveway. It idles fine. Since it is intermittent, it's been impossible to pinpoint the problem. We have done the following so far:

Changed pertronix back to points

New ignition switch (discovered old one had some melted wires)

Went through and reapaired all wiring in engine and dash wiring harness

No water in fuel although at one point the gas looked a dark gold color in the glass fuel filter instead of the light yellow

Meter tested all electronics including coil

New points, condenser, plugs, cap, rotor, wires

All (stock) accessories work fine

Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED
(I'm losing sleep over this one) THANKS!
The very first thing that came to my mind when reading your post was a defective coil. The issue is certainly an intermitant one, so metering your coil may not provide you of the evidence that it is defective.

A clue to a defective coil might be some of the fluid leaking through the seams, but it can be defective without leaking.

My brother in law had to replace an MSD coil after being on his car for only about 2 months. The issue was intermitant for a while, then the car stopped running all together.

In addition, if you are metering a coil as to the voltage passing through the coil, it may read "ok" while still being shorted out internally. In order to meter the coil, resistance, (ohms), will need to be checked and verified while it is malfunctioning. Unfortunatly, I have no idea what level of resistance a coil is supposed toimpose, but it is certainly much more than "0".
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I am thinking rust intank, as he talks fuel colour and stuff in fuel bowl of carb. So i would be tempted to think about changing the gas tank, pretty easierly done and not too expensive and is not a bad idea anyways.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Mach1972

OK, Drained the gas tank and no sign of rust or corrosion. Nothing on the "sock" either. What should I checknext?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:35 AM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

have same issue,,just got last rid of rubber fuel line stuff with fuel injector rubber lines ( they have a wierd blue rubber coating inside) acid bath for my tank right off the bat,,but you never know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine stalls - intermittent